Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can any of these programs go?

• Please log in to reply

radiorunner

radiorunner

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
hello geekstogo, i desperately need to make more room on my hard drive (currently 600mb) on an older Compaq operating on MS Windows XP SP2. i use peoplepc dial up internet & will switch to Vios when it makes it to our street. i use the computer mostly for msn hotmail, turbotax, edit some word & excel documents which most aren't stored on hard drive, & use internet w/ IE & Mozilla. do any of the following programs & files look like something i can remove?:

WexTech AnswerWorks, VBA, WAP11 USB, Shockwave, WebFldrs XP, Easy Access Keyboard, Readiris, Adaptec, Enuphon, Vista Utils, NACNR, QMGR, Genuine Check, Sun, mmkeybd, SafeCast Shared Components, Quicktime, PeoplePC:PeoplePal Toolbar 6.5, Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer, AnswerWorks 4.0 Runtime - English, directx.

i run disk cleanup alot & removed a bunch of programs i don;'t use but always seem to be getting messages about how little hard drive disk space i have.

any other ideas for freeing up more space?

thanks!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I do not see any that can be uninstalled. Most are needed by the OS.

If you haven't already deleted temp files, internet cache,cookies, etc, then the recommended would be moving data to an external hard drive or installing a larger drive.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
having difficulty figuring out what kind of internal hard drive i can get for this compaq. inside tower it says it is a seagate model st38410a with 8455 mb. when i went to pny.com configure site I couldnt enter my computer specs... any idea what i can put inside tower for more internal hard drive? there is no shelf space for it. is that a problem? regards

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We are going to need the make (Compaq) and model of the computer. So we can try and find a manual to look at the case.
Usually all cases have a spot for another hard drive or CD drive.

PNY is not for hard drives. On-line, I prefer Tigerdirect or Newegg.
The drive you have is 8.6gb running at 5400rpm. You must have a real old computer.

Another solution is to purchase another hard drive and put it in an external case. Then move your data to the external.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
it is a compaq iPaq Intel Pentium III processor 498 MHz. Memory; 256 MB of RAM. Storage for C drive: 7.857 GB.
Seagate model ST38410A w/ 8455 MB. Running on MS Windows XP SP2. I am not in a p[osition to get another computer now.

i had heard it would be lengthy wait to go to & from external hard drive to my internal hard drive with my usb 1.1? is that correct?

any suggestions for additional internal hard drive? since there isn't a shelf for it to hook it up, can it still be connected to the internal hard drive?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The compaq iPaq has numerous models. I actually now need the series/model number. Usually on the front.

It is true that the usb 1.1 is slower, but you probably won't notice the differance based on the specs you gave. The computer is slow to begin with.
Lets start with a manual first.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i apologize 123runner, it says "compaq" & "pentium III" on the outside front of the tower. The Compaq monitor says "V1100" in the upper R hand corner. The back of the tower has 2 upc codes. any idea where i look for model number? i have attached what i got from compaq diagnostics
thanks

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
123Runner, i apologize, i uploaded the attachment but later didn't see it attached to my last message. it should be attached now.

Attached Files

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
radiorunner,

Try turning on your computer and pressing F2 once every second look in there for something in regards to the model number. Do not change any settings however.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i posted a note in the waiting room about one of my posts & attached a photo of the front of compaq tower. the post is GONE. any idea what happened to it?

tuxmaster, i hit f2 key about once every second when i powered up the pc w/ nothing happening. i also shut down system & tried it again with nothing happening. then i hit f2 about once every second after i logged in, & again nothing happened.

i have a compaq iPaq Intel Pentium III processor 498 MHz. Memory; 256 MB of RAM. Storage for C drive: 7.857 GB.
Seagate model ST38410A w/ 8455 MB. Running on MS Windows XP SP2. I am not in a p[osition to get another computer now. the compaq diagnostics are attached to one of my posts in this message

i really need to know what i can get for additional memory inside the compaq tower.

Advertisements

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
also meant to ask how can i check what the bios on the motherboard will recognize?

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hello radiorunner,

Since tuxmaster is busy elsewhere, I'll try to help you out.
The only part of your post that needs clarification is.

since there isn't a shelf for it to hook it up

Are you sure ?
I've never seen a tower without at least 2 spots for hard drives.

When you open your compaq is there a green piece of plastic (Vertical)along the side where your Hard drive , floppy and CDROM are?

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Tuxmaster, Magglass, Geeks to Go:
i opened up the tower & there are many many numbers. let me know if these are the ones needed to find an internal hard drive i can add & where i might find it:

Compaq Model: DPS-91AB-3 A REV:01
Part Number: 159447-001
Spare Number: 163555-001

Seagate U8 Model ST38410A
16383 CYL - 16 HDS - 63 SECT - LBA 16,514,064
8455 MB
Model: ST38410A
P/N: 9P5002 030
Configuration Level: B21432

sticker on side of Seagate said:
Replace with Compaq Spare
8.4 GB HD
[163804-001]

In response to your question there is a green plastic plate on same side but i did not see any place where you could slide in another computer plate for HD. Attached is a photo.

this is a ComPaq Intel Pentium III processor 498 MHz. Memory; 256 MB of RAM. Storage for C drive: 7.857 GB.
Seagate model ST38410A w/ 8455 MB. Running on MS Windows XP SP2.

really need your help figuring out type of internal hard drive i can add to this compaq tower, where i can add it inside the tower, & where I can order it from. assume there is more flexibility than inserting the compaq spare shown above? can this pc bios run internal HD larger than 10 GB? I really don't have funds now to buy a new computer. i got messages this morning virtual memory minimum too low, & running out of hard drive space.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_126.jpg

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hello radiorunner,

Thanks for the info and the pic. The only problem. There are a ton of sites selling power supplies for your system, but I can't find one that has a picture of your case. The picture you sent me, wasn't exactly what I was expecting to see. On other compaq models the green plastic piece is a slide, that allows you to remove the disc drive/cdrom drive. The one on yours gives access to your memory. If you could take a few more pictures, that would be great.
You should see a ribbon cable (A flat cable about two and one half inches wide) it connects from your mother board to your Hard drive. Things to look for. Do you see a second (usually grey) connector that is on that cable, which is not connected to anything.

If you could take a pic of the space where your current drive installed and the space (If you have one) where your cd Rom is. Also if you could take the pic you sent from a little further back, so I can tell where it is in your case. That would be great.

Edited by Magglass, 27 March 2009 - 05:37 PM.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
hi Magglass, most of my photos are over 500k & are too large for geekstogo single upload size---any idea how to send them as smaller files as i have already put the tower back together so i can respond to this message? attached is one of the photos under 500k. thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_123.jpg