Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question RE: XP Home Edition Version 2002

• Please log in to reply

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, my boss gave me his old bug infested PC. Years ago when he had the PC Custom Built, it had XP Home Edition version 2. I do have the OEM key #. However, I'm unable to locate the actual disk. My boss has no clue either. Like I said this computer was from heck I think back from 2001 or possibly 2002. Many years ago. I know nor do I expect you to help me in regards to a lost disk.

My question is...is there a way to use my OEM Key # , I'm not really sure how to say this but I think you have the idea. I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I'm afraid if I have to reformat the PC, I'll lose my XP Home because like I said I only have the OEM Key # and not the cd.

I'm at work now, so I'll keep looking for that disk but heck it's about 7 or 8 years old and our office has moved a few different times.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Borrow an XP Home CD or (for future use) buy one from eBay or somewhere like that. Then you can use the OEM key with that disk.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks Neil Jones,

I don't think I'm going to have to though...I was looking at work frantically looking for the original XP cd. I found it. Its key matches the Key in my computer under System info. :)

That being said, it brings up another question. On the PC in question...it is the XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 3...This CD is also the XP Home Edition version 2002 but it's Service Pack 2 does this make a difference?

and if it doesn't make a difference since on this CDs slip and book the keys matches so I know it's the same as on my computer but I was wondering if I could burn a copy of the CD to have a back up to Prevent this from happening again? That way I can return the original CD back to my bosses old CD's where he keeps his Windows 95 and 98 CDs which he doesn't use any longer? I want to keep myself 100% legal.

as a side note: I photocopied the original Windows book that comes with it. I don't feel right taking stuff from the office. He gave me the tower and monitor of the old PC. No hardware or software. So, I was hoping I could legally burn or copy the Original CD and return it. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
The basic rule of thumb for software is "You may make 1 copy for backup purposes".

The XP with SP 2 is not a proble because what you have on the computer is SP 3 whic is an update through windows.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thank you! I just wanted to be sure I remain on the Right side of the Law whether it's the Real World or the Cyber World! I like to Respect other people's stuff too. :)

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Geez... :)

If it isn't one thing with this dang computer it's another...

...I was going to follow Admin's Topic on Repairing Windows XP with the CD...

...Get the PC prepared and the stupid CD Rom isn't working now... :)

:) :killcomp:

Edited by countryboypride77, 01 March 2009 - 04:58 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Been there many times. I have accumulated quite a few cd drives that work depending on the cd manufacturer.
I just hang them from the comp to see if they work. I do not install till I am sure.