Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell w/ 2 hard drives

• Please log in to reply

stacybeck

stacybeck

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have a Dell with 2 hard drives installed. Bios reads them when both are installed just fine...when I remove the slave, it will no longer read that there is any hard installled...as if there were none at all.

The bios only displays that there is any hard drive when both are installed. I have tried every configuration and checked and double checked all cabeling. Will only work with the two (primary master and slave) will not read with only primary master or primary slave.

What the heck am I doing wrong...this makes no sense.

Thanks for all of your great help and Happy Mothers Day!

Edited by stacybeck, 08 May 2005 - 06:07 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
Sorry it's taken a while to get round to you.

You are obviously aware that the drives need to be configured to master & slave when on the same cable. However, it's not always that straight forward. Some drives have more than just the 2 jumper options on them, even though they all achieve the same result.

Can you look one the back of each drive at the current jumper positioning & tell me exactly what the jumpers are set to for each drive?

The basic settings are master, slave, CS but you may also see Single, Master with ATA Slave etc so I need to know exactly. Most drives will have a diagram on them of the jumper configuration options.