Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router loses connection to internet.. may be due to ip change

• Please log in to reply

radman2020

radman2020

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About once a day to 2 days, my router loses connection to internet and both my wired and wireless computers can't connect. When I recycle the router, everything works again. I am pretty sure what is happening is that I am being knocked off line every time comcast changes my ip address.

I have a belkin F5D7230-4 router. I upgraded the firmware, got a new router...and changed my modem... all to no avail. This drives me crazy because often, I am remoting in and can't do a manual recycle.

any ideas?

thanks.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey radman2020 -- welcome to G2G :)

When you lose your Internet connection, can you please try the following:

Step 1 - Attempt to release and renew your IP:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands:
    • ipconfig /release
    • ipconfig /renew
  • Once the above commands have completed, attempt to connect to the Internet; are you able to? If not, did the commands display any errors/warnings?
    *Note: you may need to wait a few seconds in between the two commands; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the second command.
Please do the following commands when you lose your Internet connection:

Step 2 - Connectivity test:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping localhost >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Please also post an ipconfig /all when you have an active Internet connection:
  • Select Start
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

radman2020

radman2020

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I will do all that..... but... I already know that if I recycle the router, I will be back on line. Doesn't this indicate that the problem is in the router?

thx.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sure, but we want to see how badly your router is "breaking". It could simply be a leasing issue, in which case release/renewing your IP should renew it. Or, your computer might lose it's connection to the router completely. Or, your router might simply lose it's connection to the modem. It could be a DHCP issue. It could be bad cabling/adapter. It could be bad ISP. It could be bad modem.

Since you've bought a new router and modem, and the issue persists, it seems a little strange that it would still be a router issue. Possibly ISP. Hopefully it's something to do with your machine.

But a "bad router" can mean a lot of different things.

- Dan