Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to connect this tower to our modem?

• Please log in to reply

The1337Hax0r

The1337Hax0r

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, recently our desktops tower broke so we got rid of it. We went to my great uncles and told him about the problem. He now has 3 laptops so he gave us his desktops tower to let us see if it worked, and if it did we could have it. It works, but for some reason it wont connect to the internet (Its the same operating system as the last one was and we connected everything exactly how we did on the last tower) It still has all of his infomation on it and I thought maybe that was the problem. We have a laptop and it connects to the internet perfectly fine (the one I am using to post this) I went to the "set up a new network/connection" but it still didnt work (Please note I am not sure If I did this correctly) Sense it has all of his info on it, is it possible to connect his tower to our modem or not? Someone please help. Thanks (I will try to answer any questions that you may have)

EDIT: It is a DSL Modem.

Edited by The1337Hax0r, 01 March 2009 - 06:10 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey The1337Hax0r and welcome to G2G :)

On the desktop machine, please do the following (I'm assuming it's a Vista machine, based on your profile setting -- feel free to correct me).
*Note: you will need some form of removable media (i.e. a USB chip) in order to post the contents of this file.

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping localhost >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan