Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU TEMP

• Please log in to reply

Tyler C

Tyler C

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've been having problems with my computer restarting when it gets to the xp loading screen. My cpu temp is around 96 degrees celsius, i was just wondering if this could be the source..i've tried formatting and trying to install windows again, fix boot commands in the recovery console, a repair installation of xp but nothing has worked, i bought a new hard drive, but the windows set up freezes when i try to format it, so is the cpu temp the culprate?

Edited by Tyler C, 01 March 2009 - 09:05 PM.

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Yes, That temp is WAY too high.

Tyler C

Tyler C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Any idea on how i can fix it? I already have a decent cpu fan and heatsink on it its a thermaltake, but do i have to buy a new one?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What program are you using to monitor the temperature?

Have you checked to make sure the fan for the cpu is actually working? If its not working, then your temp will sky rocket. How about other fans in the case? Working?

Also, make sure the heatsink isn't covered with dust, I know of a smokers media center socket 775 having the same problem as you, the cpu burned up and the reason was because his heat sink was absolutely filthy and covered in nicotine and dust build up.

What kind of computer do you have and what are the specs?

Edited by Ferrari, 04 March 2009 - 02:21 PM.