Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card suggestions please

• Please log in to reply

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Good evening everyone, I've got a possible computer build I've been working on and I've been saving up in order to get all the parts but unfortunately the graphics card is no longer available from newegg and I'd like some suggestions on possible replacements for it.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500083

I'm on a bit of a budget so I'd prefer it not be exceptionally expensive.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by Ingwaz, 02 March 2009 - 07:14 PM.

Advertisements

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
well i found this card, seems like its actually better.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500077

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Ingwaz,

The 9600GT is a great choice, it is a tier higher than the 9600GSO however there's also the Radeon HD 4830 from ATI for the same price but you get -$5 on Mail-in-Rebate.
The Radeon HD 4830 is a tier higher than 9600GT so it performs better.

Take a look at this hierarchy from Tom's Hardware and you'll see what I mean by tiers.

Hope that helps.
Kamille

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll use the one you suggested as I'm basing the price off of the total cost before the rebates so that doesn't really matter to me.

Could someone give me a quick description of what a stream processor is, I have a very basic idea and I'm guessing the more the better.

Also, I'm guessing more then one fan is suggested as well

Heres the fan I intend to use: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835185060

Edited by Ingwaz, 05 March 2009 - 07:18 PM.

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well, I put in the order for all the computer parts I need. Now all that worries me is putting it together, I checked the thread about system building but one some parts it was a little vague. But perhaps thats just me, either way I have a few relatives who know how to do it and a friend who has built computers before so worse case scenario ill badger him into helping me out as he likes it anyway.

Thanks again for the tip on the card Kamille.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You're welcome.

Have fun in building, just take your time and read the manuals provided and you should be good :)

Kamille

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
thanks for the encouragement Kamille, I think I'll be alright and I'm looking forward to it.

Well my parts came in today, so I'm going to get to work.

Edited by Ingwaz, 11 March 2009 - 01:34 PM.

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
YAY! the computer is built, no major problems (<.< >.> i did forget to plug the psu up to the graphics card at first.)

however now ive got everything working and I am typing up this post on my new computer.

I am very happy with it and I think it was money well spent. and I would like to give a big thanks to everybody who helped me choose the parts.

Edited by Ingwaz, 11 March 2009 - 09:08 PM.