Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there.

For a few weeks now my laptop has been freezing (as in all functions stop, it isn't shutting down by itself though) usually every two days although yesterday and the day before, it was two days in a row.

What's strange is that it only ever happens between 8 & 10pm. I've sometimes left my computer on all night (after that time) and it never has this problem or earlier during the day.

Also, it hasn't happened during that time period, when I've disconnected the internet (I disconnect the internet when I watch dvds otherwise it's likely to freeze).

I've done scans for viruses and spyware but it isn't finding anything other than tracking cookies.

Here's my system info.

System Information
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~790MHz
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Physical RAM: 446MB
Virtual Memory: 2047MB

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get autorun..click on the autorun.exe icon...then scheduled tasks tab...whats there

Edited by happyrock, 05 March 2009 - 10:32 AM.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

go here and get autorun..click on the autorun.exe icon...then scheduled tasks tab...whats there

Nothing except Ad-aware but I only re-installed that yesterday. Earlier I disabled Windowstime service based on advice from another forum. I'm not sure if that would have normally been there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...click on startup tab...
uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

how long is the computer on for when it freezes ...
what kind of a surface is it on...desk or bed or couch ect...

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...click on startup tab...
uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

I'll try that.

how long is the computer on for when it freezes ...

I've considered that possibility as well. However like I said I leave it on through the night sometimes and I never have any problems outside of that 8-10pm window. Plus if it was an issue of being left on too long then being disconnected from the internet shouldn't make a difference. I'll try to leave it off for an hour around 6pm just to make sure.

what kind of a surface is it on...desk or bed or couch ect...

desk

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
because you disabled Windows time service...if the time on your computer gets to far off...updates and several other things that escape me just now ...will stop working...you will have to check it frequently to make sure its close to the real time and manually set it...
also look in the device manager for any yellow ! marks...also any redX's

Edited by happyrock, 05 March 2009 - 12:08 PM.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

because you disabled Windows time service...if the time on your computer gets to far off...updates and several other things that escape me just now ...will stop working...you will have to check it frequently to make sure its close to the real time and manually set it...
also look in the device manager for any yellow ! marks...also any redX's

Not seeing any yellow marks or red x's (except on those devices I've disabled ages ago)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Not seeing any yellow marks or red x's (except on those devices I've disabled ages ago)

exactly what are these...

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

exactly what are these...

Network adapters:

1394 Net Adapter

&

Realtek RTL8180 Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI NIC

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how are you connecting to the internet when you appear to have disabled all the ways to connect...

Advertisements

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

how are you connecting to the internet when you appear to have disabled all the ways to connect...

There are other network adapters.

Anyway, no problems yesterday.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
A bit of a change. Today it happened sometime between 6.30pm and 7.15.

It might be useful for me to post a HJT log just incase I'm missing something.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Before I do that I'd like to know if I should remove all those Symantec entries in my HJT this log since I got rid of Norton ages ago?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
No don't, mention in the topic about it though