Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does this look safe?

• Please log in to reply

pawprint

pawprint

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
http://www.tune-up.c...neup-utilities/

It sounds good.......but?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I will not click on the link, but will tell you that these programs are scams.
If you want to keep your computer running well DO NOT use an automated registry cleaner/booster/etc... they do nothing to help your computer and can cause harm.
When browsing the Internet, a file of every page that you go to is stored in the temp folder, and index.dat folder. As these folders get larger (close to full) your browsing will slow down. I use CCleaner to clean the temp folder and index.dat files. If you choose to research and use ccleaner ignore the registry tool, realy, it does nothing for you, nothing.
http://www.ccleaner.com/ is the web site to find ccleaner, but read the page first! follow directions so that you know what you are doing.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
hello pawprint

I agree with hfcg 110% on what he just said as they are a complete and utter waste of space. Here at Geeks To Go we do not condone the use of registry cleaners. If your machine is running slow I reccomend that you read this article by one of our tech staff.

What makes your machine slow?

I would now like to give you some information on these programs from an expert on this forum.

"There are a few misunderstandings about the Registry. People seem to think that cleaning the Registry will make the Registry smaller and easier managable. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. What you are doing is create miniature gaps in the Registry's on-disc file. These gaps will be reused by new data to be inserted in the Registry. End result of this action is that the Registry becomes fragmented. Searching data in a fragmented file (be it a database on a network server or a user's Registry) is way slower than an optimized file. In short the only way to speed up handling of the Registry (and even that is marginal) is by completely rewriting the file(s).

Therefore the only program I used on Windows machines was Registry Compressor who would do that. Unfortunately the program has been sold to another company and guess what they incorporated in it!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Registry cleaner. *groan!!!!!!!!!!*

Cleaning the Registry is a difficult thing for someone who knows what he's doing as programmers can put anything they want in the Registry. If an unexperienced person is going to take a look at the Registry and based on a program is going to delete things.... Recipe for disaster.

Trust me the perceived benefits of cleaning a Registry is marginally (if at all) noticeable."

From a personal point of view I wouldn't even bother looking for one as these can cause you more hassle than enough and no one here will help you in regards to these cleaners.

They can be extremely dangerous, especially in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Deleting the wrong entries can render a PC unusable, and none of us want to be in the position of helping a user recover from that. There is also no evidence that cleaning out the registry has any effect on the overall speed of a PC. It will speed up searches within the registry, but that has no effect on performance.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 04 March 2009 - 06:09 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Or use ATF Cleaner, which has no registry cleaner at all. If you use Firefox, close it before running ATF Cleaner.

pawprint

pawprint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks, I suspected as much

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

hello pawprint

I agree with hfcg 110% on what he just said as they are a complete and utter waste of space. Here at Geeks To Go we do not condone the use of registry cleaners. If your machine is running slow I reccomend that you read this article by one of our tech staff.

What makes your machine slow?

I would now like to give you some information on these programs from an expert on this forum.

"There are a few misunderstandings about the Registry. People seem to think that cleaning the Registry will make the Registry smaller and easier managable. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. What you are doing is create miniature gaps in the Registry's on-disc file. These gaps will be reused by new data to be inserted in the Registry. End result of this action is that the Registry becomes fragmented. Searching data in a fragmented file (be it a database on a network server or a user's Registry) is way slower than an optimized file. In short the only way to speed up handling of the Registry (and even that is marginal) is by completely rewriting the file(s).

Therefore the only program I used on Windows machines was Registry Compressor who would do that. Unfortunately the program has been sold to another company and guess what they incorporated in it!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Registry cleaner. *groan!!!!!!!!!!*

Cleaning the Registry is a difficult thing for someone who knows what he's doing as programmers can put anything they want in the Registry. If an unexperienced person is going to take a look at the Registry and based on a program is going to delete things.... Recipe for disaster.

Trust me the perceived benefits of cleaning a Registry is marginally (if at all) noticeable."

From a personal point of view I wouldn't even bother looking for one as these can cause you more hassle than enough and no one here will help you in regards to these cleaners.

They can be extremely dangerous, especially in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Deleting the wrong entries can render a PC unusable, and none of us want to be in the position of helping a user recover from that. There is also no evidence that cleaning out the registry has any effect on the overall speed of a PC. It will speed up searches within the registry, but that has no effect on performance.

Regards

Thank you! I have been looking for other post about registry cleaners/boosters to validate what I have said.
I did get permission to us a blog that Miekiemoes wrote. And then lost where it is at. (I am a blonde)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Or use ATF Cleaner, which has no registry cleaner at all. If you use Firefox, close it before running ATF Cleaner.

I use ATFcleaner on a daily basis, and ccleaner about once a month.

lavagolemking

lavagolemking

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
I have Firefox set to clear all my information when I close it, and hardly use Internet Explorer, so CCleaner and the like would do next to nothing for me.

Registry cleaners are bad, and most of the ones I encountered were scams anyway. With as dangerous as registry editing is, an automated tool for registry "cleaning" is sort of like an automated tool for shaving your neck (with a bare razor). Sure it might require less work (or knowledge) on your part, but it will ultimately do more damage than good and could easily cause some serious problems on roughly the same scale.