Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is slow as a turtle in a jar of molasses

• Please log in to reply

ridethewave

ridethewave

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Hi
I have a Sony Vaio laptop 1.86 GHz processor w/1 Gig of ram. I also have a home network. The problem started when I installed Hp OfficeJet j6450 all- in-one wireless printer. My computer now takes almost 5 (five) minutes to boot up. It use to take 30 to 45 seconds to boot. For what its worth, it puts a lot of files in temp file folder. I've uninstall the program and it's still slow to boot. Hope someone can help.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello ridethewave & Welcome to GTG

There is many of reasons a computer may become slow

I suggest you read this: http://www.geekstogo...ow-t210685.html By Artellos

Please get back to us on your findings

BTW , i had the same issue some time ago

i done this...

Start> run > type "msconfig" once the window loads " system configuration utility " click on the " BOOT.INI " Tab , check the box /NOGUIBOOT

Taken about 30 seconds off my boot time off...

you can also try going to the " Startup" tab and un-checking the boxes of the programs you DO NOT NEED to start up , you can manually start these programs later on .. just they will not be started everytime you start the computer PLEASE be CAREFUL when deciding on what you do not need ( do not disable any relating to the computer itself , as it may be needed in order for your computer to start correctly )

Best of luck !!!

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 04 March 2009 - 08:44 PM.

ridethewave

ridethewave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Thanks for the welcome. I read the tips and did your suggestion. Nothing worked. The problem started when I installed the HP printer program. I noticed it puts a lot of files in the windows temp folder. Now, even if I uninstall the program the problem still exist. any other suggestions?