Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crypt.dll/Downloader Virus

• Please log in to reply

hmayer

hmayer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I received a file called Postcards.zip & it has infected my computer with something. I was unable to open Norton Antivirus in normal mode to scan (screen only appeared partially) but I was able to run it in Safe Mode. It claims the file Crypts.dll was infected with the Downloader Virus & advised to delete file. I could not do this. I downloaded a product called Adware Alert as it claimed it could delete this file. It appears to have done so (?) However I am still unable to open Norton Antivirus. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but this has worked - it will only allow partial uninstall and install. I have contacted Norton Tech Support and they have run serveral scans and claim my computer is virus free but there is still obvioulsy something wrong as it will still not allow any install of any Norton or other Antivirus Product. Also when using Internet Explorer (V7.0) & entering in any SYmantec/Norton Website it claims they dont exist and reverts to search Engines. I have since tried to install AVG Version 8.00. It allows me to install but when I go to update files I get the following error "Invalid update control CTF file' I have followed AVG's instructions on this and it hasnt worked. Also I have received Postcards.zip on another PC and AVG claims 'The file postcard.zip: Virus identified Win32/Cryptor' Can someone please help me? I have spent countless hours with Norton Tech Support over the last 10 days and they dont seem to understand this problem or have the capability/training to fix this? Thanks

Advertisements