Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Virus on Computer

• Please log in to reply

ManekiNeko

ManekiNeko

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My parent's computer has a pretty bad virus on it. I'm not sure of all of the specs but they're running Windows XP SP2. When they try to boot the computer, it looks like it goes through the typical boot process until you are supposed to see the desktop, desktop icons, Windows start button, etc appear. Instead no icons appear, no Windows start button appears only a message in the center of the screen saying that virus scan is running. It doesn't say that it's Mcaffe or Norton or any other type of antivirus. It's just very general. Also, what's even more strange, is that when this window appears the system plays a recording of a woman speaking in another language. We can't figure out what language it is, but it sounds maybe Swedish or Eastern European. This is all the computer does. The virus scan window doesn't go away and control-alt-delete doesn't do anything. To shut down the computer we have to push the on/off switch on the tower.

I also tried to start in safe mode by hitting F8 repeatedly during the early stages of booting up, but it doesn't give me the option of starting in Safe Mode. What I get instead is a menu asking me where I want to boot Windows from: CDROM, Hard Drive, etc. I always select hard drive and then it continues the boot process I mentioned above.

Does anyone know what virus this is and if it's possible to get rid of it? Is my only option is to reinstall Windows? Please let me know if you need more info...

Advertisements