Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Ram stick not working

• Please log in to reply

Barretta96

Barretta96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I added a new stick of Azen ram 256mb. Here is my setup:
Compaq 5WV296 desktop running XP pro SP3
3 slots for ram, maximum 256mb each
I had 2 x 256mb sticks and 1 x 128mb stick. Everything worked fine but I wanted to maximize the ram so I replaced the 128mb with a 256mb.

When I installed the Azen ram I immediately got a "164 memory size error". I switched it to a different slot and got the same thing. Then I removed all ram except the Azen stick and the PC did boot and recognized 256 mb of ram. I added another stick of my older ram and it was recognized for a total of 512mb. I can put any 2 sticks in and they are recognized for 512mb. When I add the third stick is when I have the problem. When I add the third stick I get the 164 memory size error again. I have played with different scenarios for the past 2 days trying to get it to work but it just will not. The BIOS recognizes 768mb of ram but Windows only recognizes between 452 and 644mb depending which stick is in which slot. I also ran a Crucial ram scan from their website and they detected 3 sticks of 256mb. Would I be better off with a different brand of ram i.e. Kingston etc? To repeat, the setup with 2 x 256mb and 1 x 128mb worked fine. Any opinions on how to get the full 768mb working? Thanks

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is what I got when i googled "164 memory size error". Click Here
Sounds like this is normal, try booting up with the error, then reboot. According to this article, the error will go away and not show again, and there is no need for concern.

Google is your friend! Use it.

Hope that helps,

Barretta96

Barretta96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply Ferrari. I have Googled for a solution many times before posting here. If you read my post, it shows 2 days of efforts and different means of testing without a positive result. Your link describes a similar issue to mine except at start up i don't get the ram count up to 768mb - it varies by what slot each stick is in from 452 to 644 mb - and it doesn't offer a solution.