Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOST WIRELESS AND AUDIO ON XP HPDV1000 NOTEBOOK

• Please log in to reply

susan spencer

susan spencer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
No Wireless or Audio on HP Laptop DV1000, following Boot From Windows OS CD in
Recovery Console:

Initially, I was unable to start up Windows XP and received the following prompt: "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\windows\system32\config\system\".

To remedy this, I booted the system with the Windows XP OS CD and let the system
boot into Setup and chose to run the recovery console. Then I typed the following
commands:
md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\tmp\system.bak
delete C\windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

This allowed Window XP to start up however, my laptop now, has no wireless capabilities and no sound device. I tried to run the HP Application and Driver Recovery DVD to restore sound, but it indicated that the best program for the sound device was already
installed on the laptop.

Need help restoring audio and wireless. Are they available online to download. What is installation process? My hands are tied in utilizing this system and would appreciate feedback if this is possible to remedy or not.

Advertisements