Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a new member says hello

• Please log in to reply

indiadream

indiadream

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hi everyone
There are a number of reasons I have joined the group. Computers fascinate me,although I get confused really easy. As long as I have manuals,I can do pretty good,even having installed a hard drive,more memory,dvd player,etc. We have a problem now with our older generic computer. When I press the start button,it begins all right up to the point of the Windows opening. then the computer shuts down as if the power was turned off.Then the tart button has no effect unless I unplug the computer and then plug it in again. Then it does the same thing continuously,after a minute or so. Sometimes the start button doesn't have any effect. Once there was a window which said there is a problem with disk consistency and it proceeded to do three checks,but then the computer shut down again. It has worked great for about three years.Has the computer had it for good,or does anyone have any ideas about what we might try. We don't have a Windows installation CD. Thanks for listening. Charles

Advertisements

Wraitha

Wraitha

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Try to do a chkdsk in command prompt by typing in chkdsk/f/r. That may or may not work but good luck.