Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processors

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
How important is hyperthreading support and Virtualization Technology Support Ive never even heard of the VTS before, whats it for?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hyperthreading - A processor with hyper-threading enabled is treated by the operating system (Windows) as two processors instead of one. This means that only one processor is physically present but the operating system sees two virtual processors, and shares the workload between them. It can be energy inefficient and in some situations is less effective than a dual-core processor.

VTS - hardware assisted virtualization for use in Virtual Machines such as Microsoft VirtualPC. Basically boosts performance to bring them up to a better spec than it could otherwise simply being run as a standard Windows program. That is, the hardware of your computer that you use now will drive the virtual machine itself, as opposed to it being driven by Windows on its own. If Windows ultimately controls it, it'll get the same performance and rights-of-way as every other program on the computer does now, whereas the VTS enabled processor will be able to drive it directly.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
So will a quad core processor with hyperthreading make any real difference than a quad core with no hyperthreading? I do not think anything I do will utilize all 4 cores anyways as I play some games but mostly just use for internet purposes. It would be nice to run 2 games at once or play a game in windowed mode and surf net at same time. Plus a quad core should be better for future as I plan to keep it for more than a couple years hopefully as Im still using my single core and able to play every game I want to. Is a dual core with HT like a quad core?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The only quad-core CPUs with hyperthreading are Intel's Core i7 CPUs. They are an entirely different architecture than any other quad-core CPUs and definitely have increased performance over Intel's other quad-core CPUs.

There is no dual-core CPU that has hyperthreading, so your last question is not applicable. However, if there was a dual-core CPU with hyperthreading, the answer would be no; a native quad-core CPU would be much more powerful than a dual-core CPU with hyperthreading, just as a native dual-core CPU is much more powerful than a single-core CPU with hyperthreading.

Also, two games at once? How do you pull that off? Do you have two keyboards, two mice, and four arms? :) You'd also have to somehow get the computer to know which set of input devices controlled each game.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
well by at the same time I mean like dual box where you have 2 accounts to one game and log on to both at the same time to help your other character level up. Or have one game tabbed while you play the other and switch so if you play a game where if u die and have to wait for others to die like a CS or other games you can go play another game while u wait untill the next round starts.

Anyways back to my original question. So the quad with HT is better. I have heard HT is pretty much a failure and it is risky to try it. Has anyone else heard this? Is it hard to find parts compatible with this CPU if it is kinda rare?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Risky? There is no "risk" involved when using a beneficial feature purposefully implemented by the manufacturer.

As all Core i7s have hyperthreading, all parts that are compatible with a Core i7 are also compatible with its hyperthreading.