Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question: Windows Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply

teatime

teatime

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi! I've just reformatted my computer to Windows XP (Version 2002), and my mom told me that the guy who did it said to turn off automatic updates. And like, to not update Windows at all. The guy said that over time it could slow down your computer or make your computer more susceptible to viruses.

THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE, RIGHT?? You're supposed to update windows to PREVENT security leaks?

I don't want to screw up my computer again, so please, I would appreciate help. >_<

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Turn it on.
While Windows updates do tend to slow a computer down in the long term, the problem only occurs when they go on a system that's, for want of a better word, very worn in with various issues and what not. This varies from system to system so if you do all the updates now while it's new, you should be good to go.

teatime

teatime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Okay thanks for the help =)

Err is there a way to close this topic now?

Edited by teatime, 06 March 2009 - 06:28 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the safe way is to set updates so it lets you know there are updates available but NOT to download or install them until you decide its safe...we get a couple of updates per year that cause issues...DON'T be a early adopter...let other people do the testing for MS...that way if there is a problem it won't screw your system up...the early adopters will be all over MS because their system is somehow borked after updating and MS WILL figure it out in a few days and fix the update...let your updates age for 2 or 3 days and then create a restore point and then update...

teatime

teatime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
That's a good tip. Thanks a lot! (:

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks happyrock I just installed a new Hard Drive and finished setting up XP home edition. That's a great idea about changing the Windows update settings. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)