Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer takes a long time at log in programs won't load for at le

• Please log in to reply

yobraniac

yobraniac

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hello, I was directed here from the malware forum. At first I was having problems with my computer and I wasn't sure why so I figured it was malware. Part of the original problem was my computer not loading programs on startup or taking like 15 to 20 mins to load. That is the problem I'm still having. As of now my computer works pretty well now but it still won't start up properly. The last thing I was instructed to do over in malware was to run chkdsk. I ran the chkdsk and after it finished and I logged on the next morning everything started up great I had no problem at all. As soon as I restart my computer though it goes right back to the way it was. The only things that load right away are McAfee that safely remove hardware icon shows up and my volume button (the system one and the one from my speaker system I don't know why there are two). The rest of the things that are supposed load take about 15 minutes give or take. Things like the little computer icon showing my connection my comcast desktop doctor my lexmark printer icon bit comet active sync icon (the icon pops up even though nothing is connected) and I have a program called system mechanic and there is also a scheduled maintenance icon for that. Usually I can't use any programs until everything has loaded. I mean after that 15 minutes and everything is loaded everything works pretty great but when I restart or turn on my computer I don't want to have to wait 15 to 20 minutes before I use my computer.

I've done the basics as far as things you do to help your computer run faster but it isn't really running slow overall it's just the progams take like 15 twenty minutes to load. Aslo I tried to stop a few programs from running in msconfig but it said access denied and something about me not being the admin even though I am. And now when I start up my computer I get a box saying I changed the start up even when I set everything back to the way it was. I defragged my C drive but when I tried to do the same for D it said it won't run effectively because I only have 4% free space. I'm not sure why I only have 4% of space and I don't know what to delete off that drive to free up space.

Advertisements