Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has trouble booting

• Please log in to reply

Ktmrida4life

Ktmrida4life

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer recently has been having some real trouble booting up... It is a computer that I have built custom myself about 3 years ago. I have 2 12" cold cathodes installed, and a 120mm led fan inside.

When I try to turn it on (pushing the button..) sometimes it wont do anything, sometimes the cold cathodes will flash on and off very quickly and then it will stop. If I turn the switch off on the back, when i flip it back on the computer automatically trys to startup, usually unsuccessfully....

Now, my power supply has been making some odd noises, but I'm pretty sure its just because the fan is really dusty and I need to clean it.

The only thing that I believe will cause this problem, is my motherboard grounding out. If this can happen, I dont know.

My motherboard is only being held onto the inner pc case by 1 screw, so the motherboard is tilted a tad. None of the screw holes in my pc case line up with my motherboard at all except for a few, and the pc case and motherboard are compatible.

Would the motherboard not properly being screwed down onto the cage cause this problem??

Thanks geekstogo

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If any part of the motherboard (traces on the board) are grounding out you will have a problem. It could be shorted, or you could have damaged the board.
If the power supply is making noises, it could be an indication that the supply is bad.

I try not to jump to worst case right away.
I would try to get the board mounted correctly though.

Since you built it, I would suggest you remove the board from the case, as well as whatever else you can and try to start the computer with the board not mounted.

You need to be very carefull when doing this.

Ktmrida4life

Ktmrida4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Got the screws, screwed it down. Turned it on, 5 minutes later it flipped the breaker to my room ! Haha

I plan on doing an xbox 360 case mod, which has nothing to do with this forum.... im gonna stick a 360 in a pc case, so i went out and got a pc case. The pc case had a power supply in it, switched it out with the one in my computer and kaboom! Computers working. Im on it right now :)

May have to get a little stronger power supply for my computer since its only 300W, but hey, at least I know the issue now.