Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ CPU problem

• Please log in to reply

evanguy

evanguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

So I upgraded to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ CPU (model ADA5600CZBOX) a few months ago from my old (but surprisingly reliable) AMD 64 3500+ chip. The install went pretty smoothly. The only thing I had to do was flash the BIOS from 1.1 to 1.5 so that the ship would be recognized by the mobo, and that got things up and running fairly well. I didn't reformat and do a clean install of WinXP on my system after upgrading since many websites I came across said that it wasn't necessary.

However, I have yet to witness an increase in my system performance! I thought for sure that my comp would be whizzing off the floor with it's new found speed, but this hasn't been the case. I don't see a difference at all!

I carefully researched the specs on this chip before I purchased it, and it met all my requirements. It had great reviews and it was one of the fastest chips I could get for my current board (system specs below).

I decided to get to the root of this problem after putting it off for a while. I downloaded CPUZ to see if the specs my comp was reading matched up to the specs I was given from numerous websites, those being...

CPU Socket Type: Socket AM2
Core: Windsor
Multi-Core: Dual-Core
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
Hyper Transports: 2000MHz
L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache: 2 x 1MB
Manufacturing Tech: 90 nm
64 bit Support: Yes
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
Virtualization Technology Support: Yes
Voltage: 1.30 V/1.35 V
Thermal Power: 89W

... but the read-out I got from CPUZ was quite different! (see screenshots below)

What the heck is going on here?! :) Is my new CPU not what I think it is? Am I an idiot for not performing a clean install of Windows after I plonked-in the new chip? Please help me! I swear this computer is getting slower day by day and it's driving me nuts!!! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• cpuz.JPG
  • cpuz2.JPG

Advertisements

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
A clean install is a good thing to do to speed things up, even without an upgrade. Every time I do a clean install, I'm amazed at how much quicker my computer is. The slowing down happens so gradually that we don't notice sudden changes. My old 3500+ with a clean install was faster than my present 5400+ dual core with a years' worth of "crap" on it. When I first installed my 5400+, I didn't do a clean install either, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I've done one since, and wished I had done it when I first upgraded. By the way, CPU-Z says your processor is exactly what you thought it is. You have to multiply the HT by 2 (for dual core).