Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are stop codes exact?

• Please log in to reply

MsMiz

MsMiz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey all,

I was just wondering if the numbers and letters are all seperate and specific errors, or there is a certain class of each (i.e. 0xC------#, 0x(alpha)------)

I've gotten blue screens several times and the most recent stop codes I've seen don't seem to have any information on them as far as google and even the Geeks to Go sticky goes. I thought perhaps theres only a few distinguishable letters/number in each stop code and the rest of the characters are some sort of reference to something?

Just looking to cure a wondering mind =)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In a stop situation the error code is typically 0x(whatever). Therefore the error is referred to as an 0x8c stop error, for example. These have standard names - a stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error is typically named "Stop 0x0a" on the basis that it's only usually the last two digits that change. Four additional 8-digit hex numbers may appear in brackets, they are usually unique to your computer and the particular situation so it's unlikely they'll appear in Google.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
List of all codes: http://msdn.microsof...y/ms789516.aspx