Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless network not staying connected

• Please log in to reply

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I can't seem to figure out how to uninstall Avira. Any suggestions. Also, my newtork connection icon in the lower right is completely gone now. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
For the moment, don't worry about the software. Before we try anything else, please verify that you have the latest drivers for your network adapter installed -- you will need to look on your manufacturers website for the latest drivers. That really should have been my very first suggestion to you.

If you have the latest drivers, and the issue is still occurring, we'll continue.

I can't seem to figure out how to uninstall Avira. Any suggestions.

Please goto the Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus: FAQ and press the How can I uninstall Avira AntiVir Personal software? link -- this should provide you with the necessary steps.

Also, my newtork connection icon in the lower right is completely gone now. Any suggestions?

Make sure all of your network DLL's are registered.
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, I am going to get you to type three commands -- wait for the previous command to complete before proceeding to the next. It is important that you make sure you type the text exactly as it appears below. Each command should produce a box indicating that it was sucessfully registered; simply press 'OK' then proceed to the next command. If an error is reported, please post the error message. Below are the commands to type:
    • regsvr32 netshell.dll
    • regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
    • regsvr32 netman.dll
  • Restart your computer.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I have a Dlink adapter DWL 122 and it says that adapter is no longer supported by Dlink. Anyway, I did find the latest that they have ( I think) but I can't download it because I can't get on the internet at all now since we changed to a static IP.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'm sorry, I should have given you the steps to remove the static IP by now; that was simply a test. Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Wireless Network Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Obtain an IP address automatically --> Select Obtain DNS server address automatically --> Press OK.

Can you now access the Internet? Try download the drivers and install them.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I changed back to automaticallly getting IP address, but can't get the dlink adapter because I can't stay on long enought to get it. However, it says the latest is from 2003 and I got my computer in 04, so I think I probably have the latest ast this one has been discontinued.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

so I think I probably have the latest ast this one has been discontinued.

There's an easy way to check.
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • In the new window, please expand Network Adapters
  • Right-click on your network adapter and select Properties.
  • Select the Driver tab and then look at the Driver Version -- does the value here match the driver version on the website? If not, try connecting your computer to your router with an Ethernet cable and then download the driver. Alternately, you could download it on a different computer and move it across.
- Dan

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I found another adapter that I had and installed it and now everything is working good. Thanks for your help!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah, that's great to hear :) I'm glad you managed to get your issue fixed.

Thanks for taking the time to post how you managed to resolve your issue(s); feedback is always appreciated.