Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mixing RAM Memory

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I think I may have made a big mistake. I just installed an additional 1 Gig RAM memory on my old Asus A7V600 board and didn't check first if it was compatible. When I restarted the computer I heard a "POPPING" sound and nothing would come up on the monitor. The memory I installed was PNY brand PC2-5300 DDR and the other 1 Gig on the board was an Ultra PC3200 DDR. After the "POP" sound I checked the Asus manual and it says the board only supports up to PC3200 DDR. What are the chances the popping sound was my motherboard saying 'Goodbye idiot"?

On a related question, if the motherboard is fried and I only replace it, what are the chances of my OS recognising the new board and booting up?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
DDR2 RAM won't physically fit into a DDR motherboard. DDR2 has 240 pins, DDR has 184 pins. If you somehow got the RAM to go in, you probably irreversibly damaged the motherboard in the process.

As for a new motherboard working with your OS, if you have an OEM copy of Windows (it came pre-installed on the machine), then you will need to get a new copy. If you have a retail version, then doing a repair may suffice.

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks stettybet, I did have to push pretty hard to get the memory seated and now that I look closely you are right, there are more pins in the new memory strip than my old strip. I guess it's time for a new rebuild again. Too bad, that Asus board really treated me good. Thanks for the tip on the repair install. If I can do that I will probably try to get a newer style board and processer. I'm not sure how new I can go. I have WinXP Pro. Will I be able to go to a newer board with a dual or quad core processer?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Windows XP supports dual-core and quad-core processors fine, but you will need to make sure that the rest of your components are compatible. Given that you were using DDR memory, I take it your machine is several years old. Thus, many of its components might not be compatible with a new motherboard and processor. You might be looking at a whole new computer