Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen on bootup: driver or virus?

• Please log in to reply

puzzled1965

puzzled1965

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

My screen goes black a few moments after the windows log in process begins. At first this happened a few times after the computer had been booted up for a while; the screen would just go black. Now it's happening every time I try to boot up. I can only use the computer in safe mode.

While trying to problem solve I pulled out the monitor cable and reinserted it to get a blue screen with the ati2dvag rave. This was the only time I have got this message so wondering if it is not the actual problem but more a result of pulling out the monitor cable while the machine was on?

In any case I googled "atidvag" and from a number of solutions decided to unistall then reinstall the ati driver from the CD. This seemed to work - the computer was usable in normal mode. However today on booting up the black screen was back.

I'm running xp. My graphics card is a 9200 series Raedon.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

a result of pulling out the monitor cable while the machine was on

Never do this.

Does the computer operate fine in Safe Mode?

puzzled1965

puzzled1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes,

I'm now going to try installing the driver from the ati website.

Thanks.

puzzled1965

puzzled1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK it's worse now.

After uninstalling existing ATI stuff and rebooting again in safemode I downloaded the Raedon 9200 driver from the ATI site and ran the installation process.

Midway through it informed me I needed the .NET framework version 2.0 from microsoft before launching application.

I then downloaded this and rebooted again. My screen appeared in normal mode - it seemed to be working - and then the cursor vanished!

I rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled the ATI stuff (thinking the installation process must not have gone through properly with the microsoft interruption).

I then ran the ATI installation process again but this time it informed me that hardware or software components were not there and the drivers could not be installed.

I have since put the monitor jack in the standard socket on the tower so I can at least use the computer but I am in a worse hole than ever with my graphics card.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Ta.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
OK. Let's start from the beginning.
What's your computer brand, and model?