Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP freezes during the scrolling bar with the logo

• Please log in to reply

Rrraptor

Rrraptor

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello, I have a pretty big problem with my PC. The computer began freezing since about two days ago during the green scrolling bar on start-up with the Windows XP logo above it, and won't let me access the computer in "normal" mode, only safe mode, which I'm posting this from. I checked the hardware, made sure everything's in place - cleaned it, even - and tried going into BIOS and choosing Save Changes and Exit without actually making any changes (read that on another thread) and booting it - same thing.

Thinking back, have not downloaded any shady programs or been to risky websites in the past 2 days. The fact is, though, my computer has been freezing up randomly - but ONLY WHEN I DON'T TOUCH IT for a period of time - for about a year or so now. It didn't really bother me that much, as it only froze up after about 30 min - hour of no activity, and sometimes decided not to freeze at all, but now I think these two problems are coming from the same source. I just thought it was the PC slowly dying, as I got it 4 years ago refurbished, and it wasn't top of the line, either.

I can provide a HijackThis log and whatever you need. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the hardware device manager and see if there is any yellow! or ? marks..or any red X's...
how does it run in safe mode...
did you add any new hardware or software around the time you started having problems...
do you use hibernate or standby...
what are your system specs...
you say...

the green scrolling bar on start-up

this means your running SP1

Edited by happyrock, 10 March 2009 - 08:11 AM.