Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After virus corruption

• Please log in to reply

Marts

Marts

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello!

I am in need of some help. A virus(a nasty one) infected my computer and after somehow removing it with AVG(free version) it seems that some folders and files are corrupted.
So if i run Winamp it shows "Winamp.exe - Corrupt file" and "C:\Documents and settings\X\Local Settings\History" is unaccessable. While winamp works fine...
Another thing worth mentioning is that IE7 is now kinda weirlooking... history was lost and now doesnt work like it should.. its history function doest work... not that i use it much but might be a hint to what is wrong.
Firefox flash doesnt work(since YouTube player doesnt play...) and maybe javascript or PHP doesnt work too since i cant use login fuctions at any web pages and java doesnt work too... if i didnt have Opera(i tested - java, PHP, flash, etc. works perfectly) I would be in big trouble...
"Windows - Corrupt file"? Becouse i get it when i start IE7.
And when i try to run Skype it shows - "Skype.exe - Corrupt file" and that "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" is corrupt or unaccessable but i can access the folder from My Computer.
I tryed reinstalling Skype but shows the same thing... but Skype works fine except for the fact that it doesnt log in automatically(yes i checked the box...)

It's strange that CHKDSK(with parameters /F and /R) doesnt work since that could fix it.
And I've tryed in Safe Mode too...

So i was thinking that i should do a repair from XP CD but before i do anything stupid i would like to hear what more experienced people suggest.
Nothing else seems out of ordinary so i dont think that much has been corrupted and CHKDSK(if started working) would be able to handle it.
Or maybe a disk defragmentation would do the trick? But as much as i have herd - it needs to run CHKDSK(yes i havent had a disk defragmantation in my life...)...

And i noticed something interesting - when i turn on the computer and CHKDSK runs before login - it ses that file system is RAW... that is disturbing since My Computer ses its NTFS...

Thanks,
Marts

Edited by Marts, 10 March 2009 - 06:09 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try xp repair...lowdown here...if you still have issues with certain programs or apps...AFTER repairing xp .....you will have to uninstall them and then reinstall them..get the flash remover here if flash is not working...after running it go here and get the newest versions of flash and shockwave ...its a site to test flash and shockwave...when you don't have the newest versions it will offer to install them...do it...

after all that... Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

Edited by happyrock, 10 March 2009 - 08:02 AM.

Marts

Marts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well i did a repair and those corruption errors don't show up anymore but when i start my computer CHKDSK starts running but shows that file system is RAW while if i start CHKDSK from CMD it shows at 2nd stage "An unspecified error occurred".
Now flash seems to be working fine but login functions dont work...
IE7 looks like it should but crasher randomly...

P.S. Have reistalled firefox and have reinstalled IE7 from CD.

Edited by Marts, 12 March 2009 - 12:36 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the xp repair DOES NOT GET RID OF MALWARE...you still need to go thru the malware forum...
do it before you waste a lot of time doing anything else

you will have to install the javascript plugin for firefox for it to work...you also need to install flash and shockwave again...
try running chkdsk /r...like in the screenshot

Marts

Marts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hmm.. interesting - i just downloaded and installed Spybot and found out it doesnt start when i run it.
Plus i remembered that i installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware some time ago but that doesnt run anymore too.
Plus AVG found an interesting malware - Win32/Heur and it has infected in folder system32 - xdtfvzr.dll(cannot remove with AVG...) and winlogon.exe(didnt try to remove.)

And when i try to do CHKDSK like you showed me it sed "Windows was unable to complete disk check"

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have malware on your system...I have said it twice already...go to the malware forum