Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

all programs freeze/do not respond & Norton deactivates by itself

• Please log in to reply

ColDroop

ColDroop

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi guys,first post...yay
anyways I'm lost i hope someone here can help me
about 3 days ago my computer Hp a6200n with 32 bit vista went crazy I noticed my Norton had been turned off (big red x) and i couldn't turn it back on I had Norton remotely access my computer ,just to tell me they couldn't fix the issue so they uninstalled and reinstalled and said have a good day..
since then almost every program i open crashes or stops responding (IE ,fire fox,windows media player,yahoo i.m. , a fps i play named combat arms, ventrilo...the list goes on) today when i tried to use the live update for Norton it said i could not contact server because i was not connected to the internet,which i was, so i contacted Norton again , they remote accessed me once again run some windows updates ,i do this nightly btw, and said i was all set...again fail nothing has changed
i don't know how much detail to go into here so i will start with this and hope for a response to get me headed in the right direction
i would just like to read more than half a page before IE or ff stops responding, play my game and talk on ventrilo and watch some videos that i have made
can anyone help out?
thanks in advance

specs:
processor: AMD Athlon™ 64x2 dual core processor 5000+ 2.60 ghz
memory : in use: 823.37mb
avail.: 1.07gb total 1.87
hard drive: used 140 gb free 186gb of 326 gb

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ColDroop...

Because these symptoms are often caused by malicious software, let's start by having it checked by our malware experts.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. Then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum for the experts to analyze. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

ColDroop

ColDroop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the reply...im on it now!!

"Please put the type of infection you have in the "Topic Title", e.g. Spywarequake, Winfixer, Backdoor.Win32, etc. Use the "Topic Description" to include more infection details. Since some staff are more familiar with certain infections, this will help get the best response.
"

what exactly should my title say, as i have no idea what the problem is...

Edited by ColDroop, 11 March 2009 - 07:31 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
ColDroop,

If you have that information it is helpful if not you can just put a brief summery of your problem.

ColDroop

ColDroop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello again,
thanks for pointing me in the right direction, heir got my crashing resolved now if i can get my lag in online gamimg experience back the way it was ill be great , but i should make a new thread? is it possible that i can find help for that here? anyways thanks to everyone that has helped me !! :)