Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telstra to offer 100Mbps, later 200Mbps to homes in Australia

• Please log in to reply

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

INTERNET speeds are set to treble with Telstra unrolling a $300 million broadband upgrade, starting with Melbourne.
Downloading a movie will take just 78 seconds under the turbo-charged broadband that could mean the end for video rental stores...

Telstra will increase the download speed on its hybrid-fibre coaxial cable network in Melbourne to 100 megabits per second (Mbps) by Christmas.

In even more good news for internet movie fans, further planned upgrades will boost the speed to 200Mbps. Up to a million Melbourne homes will be among the first in Australia to get the faster speeds.

The upgrade gives Australians world-standard download speeds as the nation moves from analogue to high-definition digital appliances.

http://www.news.com....76-2862,00.html

Are there any other countries offering this?

This really sounds great, I have a 30+Mbps connection at the moment and can download from major server very quickly, but have no real advantage on speed when connecting to smaller slower ones (obviously). If everyone else around the world is getting these speeds, life would get a whole lot easier, imo.

What do you pay for fiber optics or adsl?
The cost of internet in Australia is what annoys me I spend up to $280 a month on TV and Internet.

Edited by sarahw, 11 March 2009 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

My family currently pays $144 + Tax for AT&T U-Verse which is a new kind of Phone, Internet, and TV service offered seperate from AT&T Internet or phone service. Everything comes in from a Residential Gateway and any T.V in the home can access the main living rooms DVR and watch the recorded program from a T.V. that is not connected to the DVR directly. Can record up to 4 shows at once while watching something else and can schedule your recordings from any computer outside of the home from online. Not all homes are eligible for AT&T U-Verse, there has to be lots of underground wiring and work done in the city/area before your city/subdivision can be eligible for it. Everything comes in from a phone line.

T.V.
We get 400 channels including all of our regions sports channel (Fox Sports Midwest), all the movie channels like HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Encore, Showtime, and just about every channel you can think of. The AT&T U-Verse 400 is the highest package available.

Internet:
6mb/s. In a speed test online it was right at 6mb and my upload? was 948kb/s, but my download manager seems to always be at about 700kb/s.

We do not pay for phone. We use cell phones for everything. However, Have you heard of Magic Jack by the way? (Might be spelled wrong)

It would cost $20 more for 10mb/s Internet which is the highest they offer right now, but I have heard it is to increase sometime soon. I think its upload is like 1.5mb/s.

Those are crazy speeds you are talking about. I would love to be able to have that!!!

Edited by Ferrari, 11 March 2009 - 03:28 PM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
For Tv, phone service and internet cable, I pay in the vicinity of 500 danish kroner, thats around 85-86 US dollars a month. I have a 18/1 Mbit cable connection, with initial download speed hastened to the trible, so the first 2 minutes I download with 54Mbit cable. Tv is cable as well, but I have opted for "only" 50 channels. I seldom use more than 10 anyways :) Sometime next year they are offering Fiber where I live, so I will be getting a 20Mbit Fiber line by then :)