Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart

• Please log in to reply

Sydney loves Geeks

Sydney loves Geeks

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer will not reboot. I have the following message on the screen....A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart. When I do, it just comes back to the blank screen with a blinking cursor. You can not enter any text onto the screen. I don't know much about computers, so please get me the computer by dumbies version. Thank you!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

onelife

onelife

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
How car you run a diagnostic software if you PC won't bootup? I am also having the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Onelife

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: onelife

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You need to take the side of the computer to look at the hard drive and to get the manufacturer.
This is assuming that the computer is a desktop and not a laptop since you give us no other info.
Once you have the drive manufacturer, you go to the link posted and get the diagnostics for that hard drive. You will need the use of another computer to download the iso image. Use BurnCdcc in my signature. DO NOT JUST COPY THE ISO. Use the program and it will handle the rest.
Boot the computer with the CD in and then follow the steps on the screen.

Onelife.....You need to start your own topic because even though you may have the same symptoms, the steps to resolve may be different and your post and info will get lost in this one.

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just a couple of QUICK tricks you might want to try out. Go into your computer BIOS Setup by pressing the right key when your computer powers on. Usually you will see something that says Press F2 to enter Setup or such. If you don't see anything, you can try tapping all the F keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.), the esc key, and your del key to try get into your setup. Once you're in there make sure that your hard drive is on the BOOT order list. You might want to try putting it above all the other options (CD, Floppy, Removable Devices). You should also disconnect everything from your computer that isn't needed to start it up and be usable, such as a printer, USB external or flash drive, camera, etc.