Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

512MB Doublesided SDRam recognized as 256MB

• Please log in to reply

Wongster

Wongster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've a P3 that was dead for a few years. Due to a new project recently, I decide to see if I revive it to help save some cost. Bought a P3 board (810E) as the caps for the old mainboard popped.

After the installation of the existing 512MB doublesided SDRam (PC133U, CL3), harddisk, DVD/CD Rom etc, I tried powering it up. POST reported my ram to be only 256MB.

Can anyone help with a solution to get the 512MB recognized?

Regards,
Wongster

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This may be a board that can only talk to single sided RAM sticks and so is only seeing one side of the stick.
What is the model number of your board please? 810e is the name of the chipset.

Wongster

Wongster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your response. Very much appreciated.

The board is an OEM board. The only other model number I can find on the skimpy menu and on the PCB is TJ-810T+.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
This is a board that's a variate on the TJ-810T. The TJ-810T board was made by a chinese company - Shenzhen ITZR Computer Technology Co., Ltd.
The TJ-810T only supports 512Mb in total which is two lots of 256Mb. http://www.itzr.com....d=1007001005003 is the product page for it.
Assuming the TJ-810T+ is the same board with something superficial added onto it (ie not support for more memory) then I think 2x256Mb should be the way to go.

Wongster

Wongster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You're very right. I went back to the shop to ask and the owner confirmed that it can only support 2x256MB. Managed to get a swap for another P3 board as his staff sold me this 810T knowing the ram module I've on hand - I brought it along when enquirying.

The new P3 board can recognized my 512MB and I bought another 512MB from the shop to make a total of 1GB.

When I got back, I realized another weird thing: the mainboard indicated my processor as 1.3GHz and XP/Memtest86 both see it as 500MHz+. The chip I have is a 733MHz P3 with FSB of 133 MHz. This new board uses VIA8601A chipset and worst of all, there isn't any label on the board to allow a search online.

Do you know of any thing I can change on the BIOS setup screens or jumpers to set to change this? Not familiar with terms to initiate a search.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Most likely the board has some sort of dynamic clock feature on it that changes the speed according to system demand. The speed on the front screen is only what the board thinks it is.

Wongster

Wongster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was told by the shop that the manufacturer tweaked the BIOS to report 1.3GHz even if they put in a much inferior chips. But that wouldn't explain why XP reported only 500MHz+ when my processor is a 733MHz. The processor has been with me for many many years (I lost count) and had went thru 4 mainboard change. Nothing sentimental about the chip but I don't want to fork out more money as it will only be used to run my motor drive for the CNC router I'm building.

Saw some 5 jumpers with a label "CPU Ratio" which currently is set to 5.5. Would this be what I'm looking at to solve the problem of mis-reporting of processor speed?

Wongster

Wongster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was told by the shop that the manufacturer tweaked the BIOS to report 1.3GHz even if they put in a much inferior chips. But that wouldn't explain why XP reported only 500MHz+ when my processor is a 733MHz. The processor has been with me for many many years (I lost count) and had went thru 4 mainboard change. Nothing sentimental about the chip but I don't want to fork out more money as it will only be used to run my motor drive for the CNC router I'm building.

Saw some 5 jumpers with a label "CPU Ratio" which currently is set to 5.5. Would this be what I'm looking at to solve the problem of mis-reporting of processor speed?