Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe - System Error "file not found"

• Please log in to reply

Lisa Renee

Lisa Renee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Before my computer gets to my login-in page an error message pops up. Simple enough, right? However I have tried safe mode, and almost every other possible mode to boot my computer- same effect. My floppy drive is a no-go, so no use trying to boot from there. I tried using Hiren's Boot CD, but even though I have selected to boot from the CD drive, it is still booting Windows. I tried to install my OS CD again through the same directory hoping it would repair the bad files but that did not work either. I took it to somebody smarter than me, and they were able to use Knoppix (Linux Boot CD) to retrieve some of my files for me (yay), but they only had enough room on their jump-drive to rescue My Word Documents from MY Documents folder ( :) ). SOOO...I am downloading Knoppix to attempt to retrieve the rest of the files, but I have no idea how to do that.

1) I want to know if there is a way to fix my computer, and keep my files. Perhaps I have missed something. I am not computer saavy.

or if not...

1) I want to know how to boot with Knoppix and retrieve my files (I am not familiar with Linux).

2) Could someone walk me through wiping my computer and starting over (I have all of my original System Recovery CDs and OS CD).

Advertisements

Shaun Ahern

Shaun Ahern

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't know if this will work or not but you can try running and Windows System File Check.

Go to Start > Run. Type in sfc /scannow

It should go through and check all Windows files, it may ask for the Windows CD if it does you should be able to use one of the recovery CDs.

If you decide to go the path of restoring you can just put one of the recovery CDs in and reboot the machine, it will prompt you on what you want to do, and normally there's an option to repair the Windows installation.

Either of these are worth a shot! Good luck!