Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD randomly in normal and safe mode with networking

• Please log in to reply

Shaun Ahern

Shaun Ahern

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So I've done a ton of research and still have nothing. The computer is a Compaq Presario x1400 running XP Professional.

Basically we had a laptop donated because they were getting a new one. The problem with this one is that in both normal mode and safe mode with network the computer will randomly BSOD with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message. I've had it one for over 2 hours in Safe Mode with no BSODs. HP's site states that the error is caused by Symantec and that deleting everything related to Symantec and LiveUpdate will fix it, but Symantec has never been on there.

From my research people have said it could be the memory or drivers. I have updated every driver on the machine, and also have replaced the memory, but it's still happening. I thought maybe because it was not happening in Safe Mode but was in Safe Mode with Networking was that there was a problem with one of the network adapters, so I've updated the network drivers, but so far no good. I'm at a loss for what to try next.. Any suggestions or help?

Error code:

Event ID: 1003

Error code 00000000a, parameter 1 ff 1701f0, parameter 2 000000002, Parameter 3 000000000, parameter4 804d9b64.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

If it's ok in safe mode then its not hardware and it is possible the the Compaq actually came with Norton preloaded. What Service Pack is it running? Have you tried to perform a WindowsXP repair?

Shaun Ahern

Shaun Ahern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I thought it might have Norton/Symantec somewhere on it. Search Program Files and the registry and no Symantec anything.

It's currently running SP2, only because I'm not a huge fan of SP3 and I've had to deal with some random issues with it before. That and I can't get online long enough to download it with the laptop, and I haven't had time to download and transfer it via flash drive.

I haven't done the repair yet, though it's next on my list. Reason being for that one is I don't have the XP Professional CD. Laptop was donated without anything else. Just the laptop. I'll be burning a CD for XP Pro over the weekend and will try that this weekend.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Edited by Shaun Ahern, 13 March 2009 - 02:35 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.