Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

userinit.exe Issue

• Please log in to reply

grudz4prez

grudz4prez

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I am working in another forum on getting my malware/spyware issue fixed. Somewhere along the line, using OTMoveIt, I lost the ability to have my desktop work correctly. The person helping with my fix, suggested I post in this forum, and state that my userinit.exe file was/is damaged and needs to be fixed.

I am running Windows XP on my HP laptop. Hopefully someone can help. Thank you!!!!

If you need the link to the other forum topic...here it is:
http://www.geekstogo...ns-t231980.html

Thanks again!

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello grudz4prez

To repair the issue you are having I reccomend to do a repair installation of the operating system. (Please note this is not a format) To do a repair installation please see the following topic here

Regards

grudz4prez

grudz4prez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the link. My laptop didn't come with a recovery disk...came with a preloaded program that you reach by hitting F11 and supposedly it was to repair windows. So I went that route...and apparently it reinstalled XP onto the laptop...eliminating all of my documents and things and some of the programs....I am expecting the answer to be no, but is there any chance I can get those documents back? I can reinstall the programs...so I am not worried...

-Charles

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello grudz4prez

You maybe able to recover some documents. I reccomend using the recovery program called PC Inspector File Recovery which can be found here. The option you need to select is called find lost data by quick format as I feel this will be the best option.

Regards