Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media files and CPU spikes

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hello

I've used VLC media player for over a year and have absolutely loved it because it has always worked well and it plays almost all file formats. There was a minor glitch in that every once and a while the video would freeze and the audio would keep playing. A minor annoyance but I made due. In the last week this has been happening a lot more, but even worse, I get CPU spikes up to 100% every 20 seconds or so. This causes the video and audio to stutter for a few seconds and then start at normal. It's a constant thing and has made watching anything impossible.

I'm using and Acer Aspire 1692 laptop, and I've mostly been playing MKV file formats for Japanese Anime (I'm a huge Gundam Fan) The spikes still happen with Avi files but the Spikes only go to 85% and don't cause skipping. Windows media player is the same with AVI's as VLC but can't play MKV files. Itunes seems to skip a lot but not in a pattern like the others. If I'm not running anything I don't get the CPU Spikes. I've also noticed that Youtube is completely useless as it lags the whole way through the video.

I can't think of anything that has changed in this time other than I defragged my system. I have run A-squared antispyware and AVG antivirus. I have Spyguard running at all times and spyware blaster, so I don't think it's an infection.

Overall I do just feel that the comp is slower as well. Loading pretty much anything does seem to take longer.

I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Edited by LANCE_1313, 13 March 2009 - 08:22 PM.

Advertisements

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Despite my previous thoughts, it has been suggested that I post a Hijackthis log and I will do so now. If anyone has answers that don't involve infection I'd love to hear them here.

Thanks

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You better check, the computer is clean, first, and we'll go from there.