Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to make a new laptop purchase

• Please log in to reply

Orbison

Orbison

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello!

I am in the market for purchasing a new laptop. I would like a laptop that is a multimedia powerhouse - that is to say, one that does music, movies, et cetera (not necessarily gaming) with superiority while maintaining a decent battery life. A pleasurable form factor is preferable. Budget or brand should not be a limitation. Thanks!

Edit: NO MACS ALLOWED :)

Edited by RustedBass, 14 March 2009 - 08:51 PM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Define "does" when you say music and movies.

Do you mean editing and/or creating, or do you mean playing?

These are two very different things.

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
By "does" I mean play. I want it to be superior to anything on the market though. This is the machine that will be accompanying me to college, and on the whole, I will be "doing" music, movies, papers, and internet (possibly the rare occasion of gaming).

After the thought, I suppose if you can defend your suggestion for a mac, I will hear it :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't see any suggestions for a Mac... :)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I consider most of the folks here smart enough that very few would recommend a mac to anyone other than their worst enemy (and then not even some would go that far).

From what you describe, I don't see why you want such a super-powered machine. Any box off the shelf can play music, play movies, surf the intarwebs, and possibly do a bit of gaming.

You want normal, budget conscience, go get an HP or a Dell. I used to be strictly a Dell guy, but we have some new HP boxes here at work and I like em. Quality parts, run smooth, light, and quiet. They compare well to the Dell computers as far as durability and price go.

If you think you need to break the bank and buy something higher powered, buy a Dell XPS box.

The next notebook I get will actually be a Tablet PC. Probably an HP. The new features coming out in the newer software look to make having a touch capable PC well worth the price.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I can very, very highly reccomend the fujitsu seimens AMILO Xi 3650 , , its classed as a desktop replacement.

Mine has a Centrino 2 ,P8600 2.4ghz dual core cpu, 4gb of pc8500 ram running at 1066mhz stock, , two 500gb hardrives , great onboard graphics but also has an nvidea m 9600gt card for anything graphically intensive, , ( at the flick of a switch ), ,also has a cool 18.4" brilliantveiw, glossy screen , a logitech quick cam webcam , a remote control for audio and video control , lots of usb, e-sata firewire , hdmi etc.
Mine also has a blu ray drive in it , , oh, , and a spill proof keyboard.

I cannot rate this lappy highly enough, , in fact i had an FSC Amilo A1650G laptop for over 6 years that was better specced than half of the new laptops out there now, , gave it to my mum when i got my new one, , never, ever, not once, had a single problem with it and its still going strong now.

I couldnt find anything else out there more powerful than the amilo Xi 3650 , , , check it out, , its cool , i still have a big grin on my face everytime i turn it on , , not many pcs get to do that to me ! !

http://ts.fujitsu.co...lo_xi_3650.html

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That Fujitsu is huge... I can't imagine the battery life to be very long lasting...

For some reason, I'm really liking the BenQ Joybook U101. It looks absolutely sweet. Now if they'd just send me one for a review! :)

(Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum).

Troy

zarby

zarby

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Unless you're into the high end laptops, I usually check out the laptops from the local Sam's Club, Walmart, and Costco stores. Their return policies are unbeatable. "No questions asked." Just a suggestion.

Zarby :)

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
I got a Acer 5535 from tigerdirect for about 350.
Minus the Vista its a pretty good model.