Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Self Restarts

• Please log in to reply

whywontitjustwork

whywontitjustwork

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Im not sure why it does this and it doesnt do it with every single game but xp(home sp2) really loves to reboot whenever i got to exit a fullscreen game or app, also if i alt-tab out and then try to go back in. I cant figure out why it this, i realy hope someone can shed some light.

Thanks for your help
~Dave

Advertisements

whywontitjustwork

whywontitjustwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
just trying to keep this afloat, come on you guys call yourselves geeks?? bah :-P

whywontitjustwork

whywontitjustwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
bah no geeks here :-P

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
go to the event log and view the red x related to your most recent crash. Right click on properties and view the details. It may give you a clue to the cause. You can send a report to M$ and view the knowledge base for additional clue. If this only happens when you are running large screen video games, It could be driver related or psu. Reboots are usually due to heat, memory, drivers or psu. You need to work thru some troubleshooting to rule out each.

whywontitjustwork

whywontitjustwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It not heat related, i monitor my cpu, mobo HD and vidcard temperatures very closly, plus if it was heat it would restart during the game not when im exiting it. I loked in the event viewr, i must say it is the most uterlly useless thing i have ever seen tell you that there was an error and what date and time along with some gibberish that might be useful to the people who coded windows but to everyone else its just numbers. How theuy get off charing 500 bucks a pop for this worthless OS is beyond me. i like to think of it as Windows extreme pouch sweat seeing as it doesnt actualyl run any faster then 98 did and probably over all hes more holes and bugs then 98 ever did. i clicked on the link in the event vewer event properties thats supposed to take you to the help for the event, all it told me is that i would hvae seen a blue screen with that info lol, thanks again microsoft.

as for drivers ive got almost the highest driver mine are 6.14.10.6986 or something and the latest drivers are 6.14.10.7003 or something, and considering they are 31 megs and im on dialup im not planning to download them any time soon.

i dont think its memory relates since its only a select few games that do this, i think it might be direct x related but i have the latest version of that too.

as for psu, i have no idea what that is lol

Edited by whywontitjustwork, 11 May 2005 - 06:35 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, since you don't care to share what you saw, and since you seem to know that it isn't this that or something else, and you don't care do download the newest drivers, what do you need us for?