Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connectin Sharing Tethered Cell Phone Modem - Aircard

• Please log in to reply

keizerna

keizerna

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I need some help with sharing an internet connection on my LAN. Here is the set up.

Computer 1 - Desktop - XP - wired to D-Link Rounter
Computer 2 - Laptop - Vista - wireless
Tivo PVR

I use a Telus Mobility Cell phone tethered via UBS port for my internet connection - basically it is like an aircard.

Anyway - I have my network set up, all computers can see and communicate with each other. I tried seting up ICS on the vista computer and now under network and sharing show devices I see my desktop, my laptop, my router, and internet gateway device. However, I can not access internet on the desktop or the tivo. When I look at the full network map I see laptop - wireless to Dlink and then no connection to interent (line with X). Then I see desktop - switch - dlink.

Is what I am trying to do something the is possible? Maybe I need to use the desktop as the main computer connected to the internet? Any ideas would be great.

Some of the websites that I have researched this on mention a special cable - crossover cable - do I need this?

Thanks

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey keizerna,

Is what I am trying to do something the is possible?

I'm not too sure exactly what you're trying to do here. If you have a router, why are you attempting to setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)? Perhaps I am misreading your post, but is your setup as follows:

Computer 1 (wired), Computer 2 (wireless) --> Router --> Telus Mobility Cell?

Some of the websites that I have researched this on mention a special cable - crossover cable - do I need this?

If you're attempting to connect two machines directly (i.e. not going through a router/switch/hub) then yes, you may need such a cable. However I'm still not certain what it is you're trying to achieve with your proposed setup.

Perhaps if you could clarify for me, I may be of more assistance.
- Dan

keizerna

keizerna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have figured out the crossover wire and I don't need that. What I am trying to do is share my internet connection with both my desktop and my laptop and also my tivo. I think that I need to use ICS because the tethered cell phone (aircard) works basically like a dialup, although it is faster. I do not have any other internet connection. The cell phone can not plug into the router, there is no USB port on the router.

Thanks

Edited by keizerna, 20 March 2009 - 07:03 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah, I see -- that makes more sense.

In order for you to share your Internet connection, you will indeed need to setup ICS on one of your machines. This computer will act as your DHCP server. You will then need to disable DHCP on your router (you can do this by logging into your router and there should be an option to disable "DHCP Server", or possibly something in regards to making your router a "DHCP client"). This will in effect turn your router into a switch. All of your machines (including the ICS machine) should be connected to the LAN side of your router. Your ICS machine should now be acting as a DHCP server, and assigning the appropriate IP's to the rest of your network. The rest of your machines should, in theory be able to access the Internet without any further changes.

I'm not sure which machine you plan to setup as the ICS host, however here's a step-by-step guide for Vista -- ICS Host Computer Setup – Windows Vista. The mahcine that you setup as the ICS host will need to remain turned on for the rest of your network to have connectivity to the Internet.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns before you attempt it. The only machine that is really at risk of losing its settings is the ICS host, since that is the only machine you'll be modifying.

- Dan

keizerna

keizerna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks - that seems to make sense. I will try it out and let you know. When I was trying to do it before I didn't know about disabling the DHCP on the route. I am still learning all this networking stuff. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You're welcome :) -- please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
- Dan