Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Installing AVG 8.5

• Please log in to reply

tanni7

tanni7

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I am operating Windows XP SP3 and I've always had AVG installed on my computer along with a few other programs such as Spybot, Spy Blaster. I recently received a message when I signed in telling me that as of Oct 09 AVG version 7.5 will no longer be valid so it gave me the option of upgrading to 8.5 which i downloaded. then when I tried to run it, it went through the first 4 procedures fine, and then it gives me this message:
"Setup has detected ewido anti-spyware or ewido anti-malware installed on your computer. Anti-spyware protection is now included in AVG. In order to proceed with installation, you will have to uninstall the previous anti-spyware product first."
At first I had no clue what "EWIDO" was referring to but then after google-ing it, it said that it was AVG so I then uninstalled my AVG 7.5 version, thinking that would help, but id didn't. Still got the same message. Then I uninstalled my Spybot & my Spyware Blaster, and that didn't help either. Still getting the same message. Basically, I went into my control panel, looked in my Add/Remove Programs list and cannot find one program that may be hindering me from installing this AVG 8.5. My concern is that I have something on my computer that I am not aware of, but I cannot figure this one out on my own. Could someone shed some light on this for me since my computer is now sitting "naked and bare" without any protection at the moment. I just figured that once I got this AVG 8.5 installed, I would reinstall my other programs that i removed in order to make this AVG thing work.
:)

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Try this.
http://www.avg.com/download-tools
AVG uninstaller.

tanni7

tanni7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
thanks for the suggestion, i will try it later this evening when i get home from work....which one should i try, the 32 bit or 64 bit one? Or both if one doesn't seem to do the trick?

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
It depends on which flavor of Windows you have.
Example:The Windows XP 32 bit version or Windows XP 64 bit version.
At the moment, most people are running 32bit.

tanni7

tanni7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i tried the 34 bit removal and it is still giving me the same message and i am unable to install it.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Forget AVG. The error, you're getting is one of the common AVG problems. It's not worth wasting your time.
You have some other free alternatives:

- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c...load/index.html

- free PC Tools Firewall Plus: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use PC Tools Firewall Plus.
If you decide to install Comodo, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

darthvader7

darthvader7

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I agree, use avast, if you have to use one. I just run weekly scans with MBAM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Regular, real-time antivirus program is a must.
MBAM is not an AV program, anyway.

tanni7

tanni7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I was hoping to work this kink out with AVG cause I've used it for years and am familiar with it and like it. I didn't realize that this was a common problem with AVG.
I am willing to try something else, thanks for the suggestions guys! The tips help!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I was using AVG solely on all my computers for years. With the ver. 8.0, I dumped it.
It became bloated, and unreliable program.

Advertisements

darthvader7

darthvader7

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I personally don't use an AV program. I don't advocate anyone else to take this move. I personally have found that weekly scans with MBAM is sufficient for my needs. I haven't even had the slightest hint of an infection in years though. I've worked on computers which have had everything from Norton, to McAfee, to AVG, to Avast, and malware have managed to slip past their nets. MBAM has caught malware that the AV programs have missed. That's the reason I uninstalled my AV client and went solely on MBAM.

Edited by darthvader7, 19 March 2009 - 12:47 AM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
darthvader7

You are taking a quiet large risk in doing so... ( if you don't do any online banking or transactions of any kind, well ... not much to lose lol )

MBAM solely is unable to effectively remove and detect 100% of infections .. i agree it is a good tool...

BUT any AV prog is unable to catch 100% of infections also... and running 2 will conflict and cause more trouble than its worth...

because of the fact the 2 AV progs on-access scanner's will try to access the one file at the one instance.. causing a system lock-up

i hope you at least have a good firewall lol

I recommend Avast... simple , reliable and good detection rate

I bet if you taken a stroll over to Malware forum and had them have a look ... i have a feeling you'd have an infection of some kind :) ( Not tracking cookie either :) )

i would not recommend anyone to run solely on an " On-demand " scanner...

Best of luck in the near future

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 19 March 2009 - 01:22 AM.

darthvader7

darthvader7

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
lol actually I access my banking info at school so there's no fear even if I did get malware. However I'm absolutely positive I don't. Malwarebytes is clean, same thing with combofix (i'm using it at my own risk I don't recommend anyone else do so) My tasks are clean, and after running autoruns I'm absolutely positive there are no malware on my system. I don't visit sites that have malware, and when I download, I check the file size. And I use common sense on browsing. Also I use firefox with the adblock plugins

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

same thing with combofix (i'm using it at my own risk I don't recommend anyone else do so)

And of course, we don't recommend you do either. :)

tanni7

tanni7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hey guys! thanks for all your combined suggestions! There were a few things to sift through and in the end I installed Avira Anti Vir Personal which appears to be much more thorough than AVG has been. It picked up some things that AVG hasn't so I feel more confident in this program. I was using Spybot before but uninstalled it---should I reinstall it again or is it necessary now that I have Avira? Am I wrong to think that Spybot is for detecting spyware/adware & Avira is more for virus detection? Any thoughts on whether or not it's beneficial for me to reinstall Spybot or just simply leave it uninstalled??? :)