Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats the better processor?

• Please log in to reply

xxtomxx

xxtomxx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Basically i'm thinking of upgrading my CPU as i find when gaming my current CPU a DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2500 MHz 4800+, just isn't up to the task as I find game play slows down way too much.
I'm looking at upgrading to either an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750+ Black Edition 2.7GHz. The picture bellow shows the specs but I don't know which one will be better for what I’m looking for. I find the worst game for hogging the processor is Supreme Commander and my CPU just can't handle the masses of data : (

Any help would be great. Oh and price isn't the issue.

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu.jpg

Edited by xxtomxx, 17 March 2009 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A better graphics card may be a better solution. What graphics card do you have now please?

xxtomxx

xxtomxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got 2 bog standard NVIDIA GS 7650 (basically a 7600) with DDR2 256 MB. The only reason why I haven't updated it is because i thought the problem would lay with my processor not the graphics card. If you think I need to update it what one would you recommend?

Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you look at this:
http://www.tomshardw...ew-31534-6.html

Your 7600 is 13 tiers down from the top. Add to the fact DDR2 graphics memory is slower than DDR3, while DDR3 graphics memory is also part of the Playstation, the XBox and the Nintendo Wii. A worthwhile upgrade is any card three levels or more above what you have now, therefore in your case that would be a top-end 7900 series Nvidia or the X1800 series.

The next problem comes; things have move on so you may not be able to buy those cards anymore. The budget card recommended by Tom's Hardware if you read the rest of the article is a 9600GT or the HD4670, which are well above what you have now. It has been stated somewhere (I can't find where at the moment) you get better performance from games from replacing the graphics card than you would replacing the processor.

For all of the AMD cpus you've listed, the only real difference between them is the clock speed (which is pretty much irrelevant these days anyway), the cache (which strangely is lower on the 7750 than it is on the other two) and the amount of power they use. All you'll do by changing the processor is adding a few hundred megahertz. Many years ago when things were painfully slow it was worth replacing a 100Mhz processor for a 200Mhz processor because the difference was noticeable. These days, going from a 2400Mhz processor to a 2700Mhz processor you won't notice the extra 300Mhz so IMO it's not worth even thinking about.

Edited by Neil Jones, 20 March 2009 - 05:12 PM.

xxtomxx

xxtomxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help. I'm looking at getting a XFX GF 8800 GTS which seems like a good buy for the money only £70 on amazon. I just hope it fits as i'm told it is rather large. I have never used an XFX graphics card before so i hope i get what i'm looking for!

:)