Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Insanely confused.

• Please log in to reply

zephiros

zephiros

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey lads - Was just browsing Google links, trying to find a solution to a problem I'm having and came across this website, Hopefully you can supply me with some informative answers :)

Okay well the situation is - Last night (16th) I was buggering about with my Router , Fiddling with the UPNP / Nat thing (no clue what I was doing, But was told by one of the Windows Live admins on their site that I need to do something to something or other to be able to connect to DoW 2 :)

So anyway - I [bleep]ed about with various options in the 'System settings' tag, It was either me Disabling/Enabling nat or Disabling/Enabling UPNP (Can't remember) - Anyway it ended up [bleep]ing up the connection in the house, So I did a 30 second reset of the router the next morning - Then switched it off by the mains and it was working again - I can now receive connection from the router (whereas before I obviously couldn't before, after I had buggered up the settings inside the router) After getting back inside the router, I did a Factory Default Settings restore - just to make sure everything was back to normal - And it was, The laptop in the house was receiving wireless and the Admin Computer (mine) was getting wired connection - Only problem is there is a 3rd Computer in the other room (Which is connected to the router, so wired) that - and this is where it gets confusing - it IS receiving a connection, But It doesn't seem to actually connect to anything - The Network Settings / Internet Options etc etc Tell me 'Connected, Fire walled' - As always, Yet It is still unable to open up web pages / Log onto msn. The only thing it can access is the router.

It does seem to be sending / Receiving so I'm awfully confused - Any help would be much obliged.

Cheers.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey zephiros -- welcome to GTG :)

On the problematic machine, please try the following:

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Step 2 - Restart your machine in Safe Mode with Networking:
Please restart the problematic machine in Safe Mode with Networking and then see if you can get an Internet connection; can you?
*Note: You will not be able to use a wireless connection while in Safe Mode; please ensure all tests are performed with a wired (Ethernet) connection.

Thanks,
- Dan

zephiros

zephiros

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've just tried those commands but nothing appears - No Information after I've pressed enter (despite waiting 30 seconds or so) and no Txt Files Anywhere on the comp :-x

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I've just tried those commands but nothing appears - No Information after I've pressed enter (despite waiting 30 seconds or so) and no Txt Files Anywhere on the comp :-x

Please do the following.

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one.):
    • ipconfig /all
    • route print
    • ping 127.0.0.1
    • ping google.com
    • ping 209.85.171.100
  • Once the above commands have completed, right-click on the command prompt window, select Select All and then press the ENTER key on your keyboard; this will copy the text; you should now be able to paste it into your next response.
Did you try safe mode? Still no connection?

Can you also do this one one of the working computers:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all
  • Right-click on the command prompt window, select Select All and then press the ENTER key on your keyboard; this will copy the text; you should now be able to paste it into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

zephiros

zephiros

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ehem, Just occurred to me after I finished typing those Commands, how exactly would I go by posting them on the site if the problematic machine isn't connecting to anything >< It's an awful lot to write down as well :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Follow the steps to copy the contents of the Command Prompt window, paste it into a text document(i.e. notepad)/word document, save the document, move it to another computer via removable media (i.e. USB chip), post it.