Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo issue

• Please log in to reply

Benjammin

Benjammin

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Allrighty, I am having a rather terrible issue, and i cant seem to find a fix anywhere so im actually posting my own topic (gasp)

I have a Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo, with a 3.2 pentium 4 prossessor, the prossesor brand new, as is the mobo come to think of it, and nothing else is really important. Oh, and I have 2 PSU's right now, switching out does not solve the problem. Also, i tested the PSUs with a paper clip, seem to work fine, so i doubt its them. anyway, sorry, acutal problem.

I plug everything in, that being, the motherboard, power supply, speaker and power jumper, CPU and heatsink, and then, a hard drive or somthing. and thats it, outside the box, just on my matress. I flip the back, the mobo lead comes on, and i hit the power. The stupid blue power suply light flickers once, and all the fans jump just a little bit, then nothing. Mobo led is still on. I hit the power button agian, nothing. I have to turn off the back switch and then back on if i want it to even flash on for a second. The odd thing is, if i take off the 4 pin power suply to the mobo, you know the one by the heatsink, the fans will actually totally come on for a minute, as if its started.

Im really in a desprate situation, i supose my mobo crapped out on me and i need to get it replaced but if anyone has any ideas at all?

*yes, im aware of the earlyier thread

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I plug everything in, that being, the motherboard, power supply, speaker and power jumper, CPU and heatsink, and then, a hard drive or somthing. and thats it, outside the box, just on my matress.

View Post

Run that last bit by me again?!

Benjammin

Benjammin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
err sorry i dont know were that came from, its on newspaper on my matress, it has... cpu, heatsink, ram, video card, psu, monitor, keyboard, speaker and power jumpers... i think thats every thing

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea I would also think bad board because when you disconnect the 12v 4 pin it decides to power on and you certainly have done all the right things like the out of case test.

Make sure the 20 pin connection is seated good.
Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the mobo
Check jumper settings especially the clear cmos jumper is on pins 1&2
Check the + and - of the case speaker is hooked up correct
You mentioned a "hard drive or something" disconnect all drives and unessasary cards and see what happens.

I assume you are getting no beeps right?

With a case speaker connected remove the ram and power on to try and force a beep if it beeps then good mobo but bad cpu would be my guess. You could also do this with the video card. A weak beep also would indicate bad cpu.

Just some ideas to try I hope it helps somewhat

Rick

Benjammin

Benjammin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well, powering on is an overstatment, but it is definatly different and seems to stay on for a bit longer

well i will try all of this, i certinly hope it is a bad mobo and not my poor cpu, thanks alot for oyour help

Benjammin

Benjammin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well, it seems i have tried everything, thanks for the help, guess i will start filling out my RMA

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome, goodluck and let us know how everything goes when you get your new board.

Rick