Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC is so slow and need ram, hard drive issues also

• Please log in to reply

sharon030161

sharon030161

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all,
I am new here and a friend told me about this forum. I have several issues with my PC. I am not very PC savvy when it comes to trying to fix my PC. I do know that i need more ram and would like to know if anyone could help me on this. Also my PC is running so slow and i am on cable modem but it runs like im on dial up most times. I think that i have some hard drive issues also.
I do know how to defrag and disc clean up n all that stuff but that doesn't seem to help at all. I have teamviewer, if anyone that is a moderator or tech in here much help would be so much appreciated.
Thanks.
Sharon

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Sharon, Welcome to Geekstogo!

I am not a tech or mod, but many speed their PC up with this article written by Artellos which is a tech here. What makes your machine slow?

It is very useful. The defragger Artellos recommends is much better than the one that comes with your computer. And generally speaking, if you have a desktop computer, you can uncheck everything in msconfig except your Anti-Virus and Firewall. However, there may be some things there that you want to keep at start-up. Like I keep my automatic registry back up checked and also my anti-spyware checked to run at start up.

This is also recommended by staff here. Go to www.crucial.com. Use their Online System Scanner.

After this, Crucial should have recommended what the maximum amount your computer can handle and the specifications on the kind of RAM you should purchase. If you don't know where to buy it, look here... Newegg

Be sure to ask questions if you have trouble with any of the instructions. Good Luck!

sharon030161

sharon030161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks so much Ferrari , much appreciated :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Not a problem at all, hope things are well.

sharon030161

sharon030161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i went to www.crucial.com and my pc went nuts! i think i need some expertise help here....lol
no offence to you Ferrari but i did not find that useful at all. im sorry :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I have let another tech know about your problems and sent him your link. I don't know why going to www.crucial.com would make your computer go crazy. Hopefully he responds soon. Good luck.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Ferrari gave you very good advice, and since we're not at your computer, we have no idea what you mean by the computer going nuts.

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

sharon030161

sharon030161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop/PC .
Scan Id: 6C015AE331D926C3

Crucial Recommends
Your system configuration
256MB Total

256MB current memory

256MB
1 empty slots

EMPTY

Our suggested upgrades
512MB Total

256MB current memory

256MB
256MB new memory added

256MB

US $14.99
[X]
Part No: CT405741
Qty: 1

US $14.99 ea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Price: US $14.99
1.25GB Total

256MB current memory

256MB
1GB new memory added

1GB

US $42.99
[X]
Part No: CT405751
Qty: 1

US $42.99 ea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Price: US $42.99
2GB Total

256MB current memory removed *

1GB new memory added

*1GB
1GB new memory added

1GB

US $85.98
[X]
Part No: CT405746
Qty: 2

US $42.99 ea.

Total Price: US $85.98
view all compatible memory upgrades

Your Dell Dimension 3000 Specifications

Currently installed memory:

256MBDDR PC3200 EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz Model 4, Stepping 1
CPU Speed: 2992 MHz
If you receive a "Memory available limited to 256MB!" message after installing more than 256MB, enter BIOS and turn OS Install to OFF. Exit saving changes.

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.c...r.aspx?qid=4251.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 2048MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

A: Yes.

To benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

A: No.

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

All Compatible Parts
Refine my choices
select all|clear

MEMORY MODULE
Kits:

Single
2-piece kit
Density:

2GB
1GB
512MB
256MB

ok, im sorry for all this but i just copied and pasted, i was able to go to crucial.com and run the scan and the results are above.
thanks for any advice.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You did fine.
Yeah, XP with 256MB of RAM must be painfully slow.
I suggest, you go with second option, buying 1GB stick for 43 bucks.
I would simply remove old 256MB stick ,and replace it with new 1GB stick. Keeping old 256MB won't really make any difference.

sharon030161

sharon030161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks broni, sounds like a plan. and yes it is painfully slow. you guys are great :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
With 1GB, it's gonna fly :)
You're welcome :)