Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag a hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I was trying to do a very large file in Photoshop and it crashed.

I get a scratch disc error message when I try doing the file again and read that I needed to defrag the hard drive.

I did do a disc clean up and a defrag but it says I should defrag the C drive again. So how many times on average will it take to get the drive back where it has more open space to use and a lot less fragmented space?

Attached is an image showing the disc.

Thanks,
Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• defrag.gif

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
That is a very heavy fragmented drive based on all of the red showing. It could take numerous defrags to get it all. You only have 19% free hard drive space.

As a referance, I recently had a 30 gb drive with 50% free (after I removed alot), and 21% fragmented, took 3 defrags.

It depends on the free space and how fragmented the drive.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have defragged the hard drive 4 times and now it is free of the fragmented files.

As you can see from the new attachment there are blocks of files. Can I defrag more and get these blocks to be contiguis and have all the free space in one block or am I asking for too much?

Thanks,
Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• defrag2.gif

darthvader7

darthvader7

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Don't use the plain disk defragmenter with windows. There are three types of defragmenters that I use that work excellently and improve speed.

1. Page Defrag. Defrags your pagefiles at boot. It's a Microsoft Powertoy found here:

2. Smart Defrag: Defrags and Optimizes your system and is an excellent program. Recommended that you disable the schedule, autodefrag, and minimize to tray options for optimal efficiency. Found Here.

3. Registry Defrag: NT Registry Optimizer is an excellent tool for this. It is made by the same producers of the ERUNT registry backup commonly recommended by techies and used by SuBs in his combofix utility.
NT Registry Optimizer found here

All three when used on a bi monthly basis will go a long way to improving the speed of your system.

bustermoves

bustermoves

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
personally,i like jkdefrag.if you go to their site,it gives a pretty good explanation of defragging,and why those gaps are there.oh yeah,as i found out also,once your hard drive reaches a certain point of capacity,like less than 10 or 15 % free space ,it cant defrag,simply because it dosent have room to move stuff.

darthvader7

darthvader7

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I used both jk defrag, defraggler, and smart defrag. I've personally found both jk defrag and smart defrag to be pretty equal, however jkdefrag takes much longer than smart defrag.