Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Linksys router

• Please log in to reply

mrwoggle

mrwoggle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Can anyone out there help us?We have a Linksys WRT55AG wireless router and a DSL connection.The connection is fine when not in the router,but when I run the setup,there is no option for DSL,so its' being forced to think its a cable connection.So it doesnt work.
Ive tried connecting using the router (198.168.1.1) and doing the do there,but it still isnt recognising the connection.Im getting flustered and irritated!!!
Any help would be massively appreciated!
Cheers
Andy
[e-mail removed]

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Andy,

but when I run the setup,there is no option for DSL,so its' being forced to think its a cable connection.So it doesnt work.

There may be no option that explicitly states DSL, but there should be something in regards to PPPoE connections, which is the protocol that most ISP's use for DSL connections.

You will need to enter the appropriate username, password and possibly information in regards to your ISP's connection -- if you don't know this information, you may need to contact your ISP, or check your modem. All of that info should have been given to you when you signed up.

If you can't find this information, or the appropriate PPPoE fields, please let us know and we'll attempt to assist you.
- Dan

mrwoggle

mrwoggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK.When I go to http://192.168.1.1 and set up through the router, Ive found the appropriate PPoE stuff and filled in all the relevant fields, and saved settings.No problem.But once I connect it all through my pc and net cable,nothing happens.Im still really puzzled.Its a Linksys WRT55AG model 2 router if that helps...
Thanks loads for the response
AW

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a lot of times with DSL if all you have is a modem...then you've got to set the modem to bridge mode before you can have your router connect via PPOE....you should go to your ISP's support page and see if they've got instructions for setting up a network with their equipment and setting the modem to bridge mode

mrwoggle

mrwoggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just realise my ISP's support says it uses PPPoA, doesn't mention PPPoE. There's no option for PPPoA in the router. Is this the problem, my router & ISP are incompatible.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Is this the problem, my router & ISP are incompatible.

Possibly. But it's more likely that you simply need to update your router to the latest firmware. You should be able to get the latest firmware from the Linksys website. Select your version (2.0) from the drop-down box and then download the firmware. Upload it to your router and apply it.

Once you have the latest firmware, do you have the option for PPPoA?

As a side note, PPPoA is often used in enterprise setups, and usually have static IP's; if your ISP has limited you to a single static IP, then they may not allow you to connect multiple machines via the one IP (some ISP's do this, others don't), in which case there's not a whole lot you can do.

- Dan