Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graduate Student Needs Help Fast!

• Please log in to reply

chicagonicole

chicagonicole

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello,

i woke up this morning, turned on my computer and i have no icons on my desktop. everything seems to be working just fine including the internet....
i was getting this message: "the configuration registry database is corrupt" so i started my computer in safe mode, opened DOS and ran scanreg/fix. now, i'm no longer getting the error message, but i still have no desktop icons. also, i cannot restore my active desktop. i can push the button, but it does not take me to my normal screen as it used to. please help! i have one more month of grad school and am hoping my computer will last at least that long. anyone with any advise or information - please email me. your help will be VERY appreciated!

nicole

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Restart your computer, and then press F8 when you see the "Starting Windows" message.

Use the ARROW keys to highlight Command Prompt Only, and then press ENTER.

To edit your System.ini file you may first need to change directories to the Windows directory by typing cd\windows, and then press ENTER.

To edit your System.ini file, type edit system.ini, and then press ENTER.

At this point you should see text from the System.ini file. Look for a line of text that says:
Shell=Explorer.exe

Delete the Explorer.exe text and replace it with:
Winfile.exe

To save your changes, press ALT+F.

A menu is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen. Press the X key to exit.

Press ENTER to save changes and to return to the command prompt.

Restart your computer normally. You should see the Windows File Manager once Windows has restarted.

Navigate to c:\windows update files

Double click ie6setup.exe

Allow internet explorer to setup again, when it asks you to reboot, do so.

Allow Windows to reboot completely, then shut down again.

Restart your computer, and then press F8 when you see the "Starting Windows" message.

Use the ARROW keys to highlight Command Prompt Only, and then press ENTER.

To edit your System.ini file you may first need to change directories to the Windows directory by typing cd\windows, and then press ENTER.

To edit your System.ini file, type edit system.ini, and then press ENTER.

At this point you should see text from the System.ini file. Look for a line of text that says:
Shell=winfile.exe

Delete the Winfile.exe text and replace it with:
Explorer.exe

To save your changes, press ALT+F.

A menu is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen. Press the X key to exit.

Press ENTER to save changes and to return to the command prompt.

Restart your computer normally.

Fix it?

chicagonicole

chicagonicole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I hit F8 while Windows is starting I am taken to the ME Setup page and have the following options: Normal, Logged, Safe Mode, or Step-by-step configuration. I don't see a "command prompt only" option there. I also tried F2 to get into the system settings, but again didn't see the command prompt option.

Please help if you can! I apologize for my computer illiteracy!

Thank you very much for your help.....I really do appreciate it.

Craig S

Craig S

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Copied following from Windows Me Knowledgebase and it appears you need Me Startup Disk to get to Command Prompt:
1. Start your computer by using the Windows Me Startup disk.
2. At the Startup menu, choose Minimum Boot.
3. At the command prompt, type They had other verbiage but it does appear you'll get to the Cmmd Prompt-
Make Startup Disk via Control panel/Add-Remove Programs/Startup Disk Tab-
Others may post but try if you get desperate.