Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro & service pack 3 & AMD chip

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I would like to know if service pack 3 is a good idea or not.
I have the downlaod from Microsoft, but have not yet installed it. Any pros or cons?
I also see that there is a severe warning about AMD chip set and need for hot fix.
Should I?
Thanks
Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenHunter_011.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi paulsiam I am also a member and I just read this. I also have a amd based system and have installed SP3 with no problems. I have included a link that talks about this issue and it seems that it depends on how windows was originally installed on your system. The article states that microsoft has fixed that problem in the install of sp3.

http://social.techne...5b-610891d7a73b

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The AMD issue tends to occur on HP/Compaq branded machines. You shouldn't see it on any other AMD build.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats what I understand also Neil. I have had no problem at all since installing SP3.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thanks for the info
I will give it a try!
Paul