Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect! :)

Right click on Disk 1 and see if you have the option to "Format" or if it asks you to Initialize it first.

If the option to format is there, choose that and format the drive using the NTFS file system.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
No,

Convert to dynamic disk
Properties
Help

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Maybe I clicked in the wrong place.

When I click inside of the box, it gives me the options of...

New partition
Properties
Help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
New Partition

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, it gives me two options.

One is primary partition and
extended partition

Which one do I want? I know that in the end I would like to have the three partitions that I had before.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go with the primary to begin with...we'll split it up after it's formatted.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, it says it is formatting. I don't see anything, but I guess that doesn't matter.

It did say that it is only one partition and that it is assigned the letter F.

Do you have any idea how long it will take to format?

And while I'm asking questions, can you tell me why it says it is only 232 GB?

The drive is supposed to be 250 GB.

Edited by woodworks, 27 March 2009 - 02:37 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's going to take a good long while... :)

When it finishes, let us know and we'll split it into three partitions.

As for the size discrepancy, Drive manufacturers give their size based on 1000MB = 1GB while the machine uses the actual size which is 1024MB = 1GB.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok it says it is healthy.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I wanted to see before we partitioned...we needed to verify that the partition was "Healthy". We'll be formatting again, but it won't be as long a procedure.

How many "drives" do you want this broken into? Two or Three?

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Three. I would like to have D, E & F, just like I did the first time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...in the management console, right click on the new drive and choose "Delete"...confirm that you want to do that. It will remove the current partition and show as unallocated space again.

Right click on the unallocated space and choose "New Simple Volume"...the wizard will open...click Next.

You should see a number in a box that represents the total size of your drive in MegaBytes...change that number to 80000 and click Next.

Assign it a drive letter (D) and click Next.

Choose to format using the NTFS file system, use default allocation unit size, you can name the volume by typing a name in the volume label area, and choose the "Quick Format" option...click Next...click Finish.

It will set the partition and format the first drive.

Now you should have 1 partition and unallocated space.

Follow the above instructions again on the unallocated space. Assign E as the drive letter. When you finish you should see two drives and unallocated space.

Follow the instructions again on the unallocated space, only this time allow the numbers in the box stay what it displays when it opens...that will represent the remaining space. Do the rest of the instructions the same, assigning F as the drive letter and you should end up with three nearly equal partitions.

You may have problems with the drive letters assigning because of the optical drive wanting to use D or E. Let me know if that happens.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
It doesn't have new simple volume.

I clicked on the new partition and it went thrugh to the assign a drive letter but lit doesn't have the D or E. It starts with the F.

Right now the two CD rom drives are lettered as D & E.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Locate the D drive in computer management, right click on it's icon (on left), and choose "Change drive letters and paths". Assign it the letter G and apply the change.

Do the same for the E drive, naming it H.

Then try to assign the drive letters to the new partitions.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Having problem here with the size. I did the change drive letter and it is working.

I have to click on the new partition and then next and that gives me the option of primary and extended. I choose primary and then the next screen is where I choose the size. That is where I am having problems in sizing them to be all the same.

After that it comes up and seem to work, but as I said, I can't seem to get the size to be the same.