Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I didn't read your post before I started the program. But I did know not to go back to the original drives with the files and things. I have an external drive that will take everything.
The only problem is, it says there are no lost or damaged partitions. It did find the unallocated disk and that is what I scaned but it didn't find anything.

So if there is something I am doing wrong, maybe you can help me out.

I didn't install any of the CD. The following is what it gives me to install. I choose the option of the lower right corner that says to run the scan from the disk.

Edited by woodworks, 21 March 2009 - 05:20 PM.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well I forgot to send the picture. As you can see, it says trial. I didn't know this when I bought it, but I have had if for so long I don't even remember where I got it.

Edited by woodworks, 21 March 2009 - 05:24 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With trial versions, it will do the search, but will not finish the recovery until you purchase a license..... :)

Try GetDataBack and see if it can find your files. This is also a trial version and will not do the recovery unless you buy the license, but it may let us get a look at the drive. This is a direct download link...save the file where you can find it.

Use the default settings.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
From what you are telling me and the snapshot, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Since I'm not familiar with that particular prog, I'm not sure what the difference between a trial and real version is. Most of the time the trial will find anything it can, but not allow you actual recovery. Just to make sure you might want to Download http://www.r-studio.com/ , I am familiar with this prog. They have a demo version which I know works. If the files are still recoverable, it will find them. It also see files(if any) which have been corrupted or are not recoverable.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Thanks wannabe1.

I'll go give that a try and see what happens.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Magglass,
I've started this one and if it doesn't work, I'll come back and you can help me with that one.

Thank you for the help.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Just to let you guys know what I'm dealing with, I have around 2000 pictures/images on two of the partitions. On the third partition I have all the programs/software that I would d/l or install and then whatever went to the C drive would be the only thing I would put on the C drive. I also have over 1000 songs on one of the partitions.

Orginially I had the C on the original drive that is 80GB. I installed the second one of 250GB and partitioned that into the D: E: & F: drives. So it is that drive I need to bring back if at all possible. As I have already stated, I have everything on that drive. I didn't think it would be effected if windows ever went down. Had I known, I would have put it all on my external drive. I don't leave that one plugged in except when I use it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What you are dealing with now is why we recommend that only the drive being formatted is connected to the system. In most cases one can get away with having them connected, but every once in a while..........

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Gee thanks wannab1. Ha Ha. You couldn't tell me this before all this happened???
If I had known which one to unplug I would have. They are both connected to each other and also into the CD rom drives. That was my problem.

Live and learn. Well I learned this time. I just thought it would format only the drive that was highlighted.

But thanks for all the help. At least I can come here and learn something even if it is a little late. If I ever get any of it back, I will make sure it is put somewhere else.

BTW, can you tell me what it would look like if this does find something? When it first started, it said there was some 'Thumbs'. But all I see now is a bunch of numbers. It says found @ sector 81401391 is a sample. Obviously I will have to have you guys tell me what it all means.

Edited by woodworks, 21 March 2009 - 06:24 PM.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hey woodworks,
Which ever one works. The goal here is to see if your data is recoverable.,it really doesn't matter which one of us suggested, which program.

Edited by Magglass, 21 March 2009 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

these 3 drives that you mention; are this three partitions on the same hard disk or are these 3 seperate hard disks?

1: During windows installtion the disk is formatted. You don't need any other program.

2: If theses are seperate disks then you can disconnect the cables that connect them to the motherboard, leave only the one on which you want to install windows and proceed with windows installation.

3: If theses are partitions on the same disk you can start windows installation, delete only the partition with the operating system (C, usually), create a new partition, format and install windows. The other 3 partitions will not be affected.

The Skeptic mentioned disconnecting extra drives in post #2.... :)

You might consider, at some point, picking up a program like Acronis True Image. That way you can make an image of the drive when you have it the way you want it, then make incremental backups to the image. You can restore a system from an image in less than an hour...even to a new hard drive.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I'm gonna do something, I know that.

Asl I said, if I knew which one to have unplugged I would have. I should have tried a little harder to figure it out. Maybe if I had described it to him, he could have figured it out for me.

A mistake I won't make again.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Just an FYI, Skeptic suggested disconnecting the cable from the motherboard, this will save you this kind of headache. There is a slightly easier way. espcially if they are IDE on the same cable. Disconnect the power from one drive, reboot, if the system loads thats the one with your OS on it. One caviat, this assumes that only one of those drives is bootable. You can do the same thing with sata drives.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
How come I learn this stuff after everything gets screwed up? I've been without this computer for about a week and I guess I was getting tired of not having it to do what I needed to do.

Looking back you can always see where you messed up. It has been so long since I have done anything inside a computer that I was afraid of screwing something like this up. Guess it doesn't matter now. As I said, live and learn. Too bad I learned it the hard way. I have to take the blame here since it was me that didn't know what I was doing.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

How come I learn this stuff after everything gets screwed up?

patients is a virtue,but timing is everything

Looking back you can always see where you messed up

We have all been there!