Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen on start up

• Please log in to reply

anvika

anvika

• Pip
  • 3 posts
when i power on my system or restart it, on start up it shows a blank screen with a cursor on top left corner and thereon it boots up properly loading the windows and i am able to use my system with ease.
I believe i tried most of the things i could to remove the black screen on start up.

Things i did:-
Check my DVD Drive for any CD's.
BIOS Setting: Boot Priority to Hard Drive, Hard Drive Pre Delay=0, Disable all other boot up options.
Repair Windows: Virus Scan, FIXMBR, FIXBOOT, BOOTCFG.
Nothing helped.

Do help me, if there are any other specific settings i have left out or any suggestions to resolve this.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi anvika ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
does the black screen only last a few seconds..

Geek09

Geek09

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Something similar happened to me except I could move the mouse, I fixed it by restarting, pressing F8 and in the Windows Startup Options, selected "Last Known Good Configurations" try that and see if it works.

anvika

anvika

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks a lot! Yes the black screen with a cursor on the top left corner lasts for a few seconds only.

Hi anvika ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
does the black screen only last a few seconds..

Edited by anvika, 29 March 2009 - 11:12 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't worry about it ....its common

anvika

anvika

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
But it never used to happen earlier. I haven't added anything to my system. Just changed my PS2 keyboard which gave me a lot of trouble. I would like to share, it may help someone:-
My system used to hang indefinitely, sometimes on boot, sometimes after logging in (5 to 10 minutes) and sometimes it never booted. Earlier I thought it was because of some virus but after trying various things i thought it was a motherboard problem. I gave it to my vendor and he formatted it without diagnosing anything and gave it back saying that its working fine. Later at home i identified that it was due to the faulty keyboard. I changed the keyboard with a new USB one and the system worked properly since then but i also noticed the black screen problem. Somebody told me that its due to some faulty component (capacitor) on the motherboard.

don't worry about it ....its common

Edited by anvika, 30 March 2009 - 10:58 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Somebody told me that its due to some faulty component (capacitor) on the motherboard.

whoever told you that does not know computers...have him give you / us his source's for his diagnosis...