Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

agmoore

agmoore

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need some help. I recently had one of the stop screen errors. I formatted my harddrive and reinstalled the xp software recovery disks. Now i cannot connect to the internet. Can someone please help me?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this Home or Pro version?
Original xp installatin disk that came with your system?
Make and model of system
During install did it ask to setup your network and what was your response?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

To add to the questions.....

Are they recovery CD's to take the system to original configuration, or are they XP oem or retail CD's?
If recovery, they should install all the drivers that are required because it would be built for the computer.

Go to start....run.... and type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Are there any ? or ! visible?

agmoore

agmoore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an xp home used the disks that came with the computer. Yes there are several ! and I tried to setup the network again and also add my wireless connection too. before the crash and reinstallation I was connecting wirelessly through a router hooked up to my desktop.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You need the driver CD for the computer.
You need to fix the missing drivers.

What is the computer manufacturer? Dell, HP, gateway, home built?

With that we can try and find the drivers.

agmoore

agmoore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell inspiron laptop its 2 years old I installed all the drivers from the cds and I still have the !'s saying I am missing drivers. I called dell and they said i need to do a windows update but if I cannot connect to the internet from the laptop how am I going to get the drivers windows or the installation cds did not install.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Dells have a service tag on them. With that number you can go to dell and easily get what you need.

Go HERE and enter the tag or the model.
It will get you everything on the laptop.

If you need furthur help, we will need the tag or the model number because there are a lot of models.